Monday, September 3, 2012

Doctor Who: Asylum of the Daleks - Review

Let me just start out saying that I'm posting this early because my evening is going to be filled with Alphas, Warehouse 13, and Grimm. I also should have posted this yesterday, but I was spending time with my family. Also, my mom is awesome. We were eating out on Saturday and it was 8:45 PM as we were driving down our street. This meant I was gonna miss Asylum of the Daleks. Without me asking, she found BBC America's repeat at 11PM and let me watch it (she's queen of the TV in our house so she usually just watches what she wants). Anyway... from this point on there will be SPOILERS for Asylum of the Daleks. You've been warned.

As I Was Watching Reactions

  • Why do the Daleks have prison camps?
  • Dalek/human robots? WTF? Daleks is sneaky.
  • Amy has Karen's job... and is divorced, or getting that way... interesting
  • Only 11 out of 10 in trouble? Not so much, then.
  • Daleks have a Parliament? Daleks? Seriously?
  • Don't like the new time tunnel...
  • Ah, Rory... what color indeed?
  • I hate commercials. Except that one with Chris Hardwick. That can stay.
  • Companions need to stop touching Daleks.
  • These human/Dalek hybrids are not cool.
  • Seriously, stop touching Daleks!
  • Rory is a badass, even when sliding under doors.
  • Oh... snap. The Doctor is all trapped + scared.
  • She's a Dalek... snap. That's very Cyberman of the Daleks.
  • Marriage -- fixed!

Actual Review

     I thought the episode was good, really thought-provoking. However, I didn't really feel the whole "mini-movie" vibe everyone's been talking about. Might possibly have been commercials breaking up the pacing but... Meh. Also, Daleks. I hate Daleks. Not in a "I'm The Doctor and I hate Daleks" kind of way, but in a "I wish Daleks hed never been created and would just go away" kind of a way. Needless to say, I wasn't really as excited for Asylum of the Daleks as I could have been.
     I quite liked Amy in this episode. Glad she has a respectable job now. Not quite sold on the reason she "let Rory go." But Rory was a badass all the same. He didn't freak out like he usually does, not even once. Although seriously, what is it with Companions and being unable to resist touching Daleks or things Daleks have? Rose, Mickey, and now Rory have all touched Daleks/Dalek stuff and almost died over it. Stop touching stuff! God!
     Also, Daleks make crap chains. Which brings me to... *drum-roll* Oswin! Oswin is an incredibly interesting character. When I first saw her and her dream-world, I thought it was a commercial. Her environment was so starkly different from the rest. As the episode went on, I realized she couldn't possibly be normal (and not just because of the souffles). No one goes through a crash and comes out on the other side looking that good. I did not, even for a second, think she might be a Dalek. And for a Dalek, she was pretty awesome. Rest in peace, Oswin Owswald.
     That being said, if I never see another Dalek/Human hybrid it will be too soon. They seriously creeped me out. I wonder if Amy and Rory being infected with Dalek nanobots is going to matter or if it's gonna be a dangling plot thread... Speaking of dangling plot threads, what're Amy and Rory gonna do, just throw away the divorce papers? I guess that's not dangling, but... ya know... a little weird to me.
     Last random thought to wrap up: I enjoy how Amy can read The Doctor like a book. It's interesting.

Housekeeping

So... I think I'm just gonna go ahead and take Saturdays off instead of the entire weekend. This is for two reasons: I need a day off from blogging, at least one. And I'm flying to Iowa on the 15th of this month, which is a Saturday, so I don't think I'll be in much of a mood to blog that day. So, you can expect future Doctor Who reviews and reactions to come on Sunday.

That's it from me for now. See you tomorrow.

Love ya, Jessie.love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

PS: The egg-person is in no way related to Asylum of the Daleks. winking0071 Free Emoticons   Winking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive