Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Rant About Amy Pond

So... I was going to pack for my trip today; but as soon as I opened my suitcase, the smell of cat urine assaulted my face. Turns out, my sister's cat had decided to pee in it while I wasn't using it. Here's me, incredibly pissed off about that. I figured telling you guys about it would be a nice way to vent since my sister is at the movies. I have to wait to pack until the Febreeze dries and gets rid of cat smell...

Also, since I'm not doing anything else at the moment, I may as well rant a little about something I posted about on my other blog a while ago: Older Who Fans vs. Younger Who Fans. As I'm not sure I've moved that post here or just deleted it, I'll give you an overview:

  • Whovian - Someone who is a fan of Doctor Who.
  • Older Whovian - Someone who grew up watching the show between when it aired in 1963 and 1980. They also watch the new incarnation of the show and often start podcasts about it.
  • Younger Whovian - Someone who just started watching Doctor Who between 2005 and the present. May or may not have an idea Doctor Who started in 1963 and may or may not have watched any of the older incarnation of the show.

Older Whovians, I've found, NITPICK the show to DEATH. They will sometimes come off sounding like they hate the show because of their nitpicking and then say things like "Well, I still love Doctor Who, else I wouldn't be watching it or podcasting about it." They've also been known to talk about fans who essentially sunk the show in 1980-something by NITPICKING and coming off like they hated it. Okay, granted, I enjoy listening to them talk about Doctor Who and sometimes agree with them, but... sometimes they just piss me off.

Take today, for instance. I was happily listening to The Doctor Who Podcast where James and Leeson were talking about "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship." James, first of all, came off sounding like he didn't really enjoy the episode and said differently after they'd got done talking about it. And secondly, James said something that a) made my jaw drop and b) I don't agree with AT ALL. He said that Amy Pond (current Companion to the Doctor) hasn't been portrayed as all that bright. SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY? No, no, no, I did NOT just hear that. Cue jaw dropping and staring over at my iPod with an open mouth.

Now, Amy is one of those Companions who is a lot self-centered. I get that. She's also quite polarizing, I've found. Either you like her, or you don't. I get that, too. However, she's never been portrayed as being dumb, stupid, or... anything else like that. She's a strong, confident, capable, SMART, somewhat self-centered woman. I've never gotten the impression that she wasn't supposed to be smart. Amy was the one who stopped The Doctor killing a Space Whale because she figured out what was up with it. Amy survived to save herself in "The Girl Who Waited." Amy saved The Doctor in "The Big Bang" by remembering him. Amy paid attention to what The Doctor does and replicated that in "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship." Amy is plenty SMART.

*Seething and Heavy breathing and calming down* Okay, rant over. I was just... shocked. I've never been more shocked at something a Doctor Who podcaster has said... Frankly, I'm disappointed... and that's all I have to say on the subject.

Thanks for reading. Don't forget to drop me a comment either below or on Twitter.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive