Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Problems With Commitments and Hiatuses

So...I said a really long time ago (last year at some point, I think) that I needed to review both Not Myself and 500 Miles before I went to to review Adrift in a Room of Mirrors by Princess Alexandria. Well... life happened, I fell off the blogging bandwagon, and I'm honestly not in any sort of mood to finish my reviews *cough* summaries *cough* of 500 Miles. I'm not even in the mood to finish re-reading it just for me... But anyway, I still highly recommend you go and read the rest of it. It's awesome. I enjoyed it. I just have to be in the right mindset to read it.

That said, I am going to go ahead and review some, not all, of Adrift in a Room of Mirrors. I'm going to start with the prologue and jump around with the rest. Jumping just a tad off-topic, Adrift in a Room of Mirrors is really better enjoyed if you know a few things about the various universes Christy (yup, there's a connection to the other two fics and she's it) travels to. That said, I'm going to be completely leaving out of my reviews the True Blood and Star Trek: Voyager sections. I've never had any interest in these series *cough* Lies *cough* and so I don't feel I can properly speak about the fanfictions pertaining to them. I have been reading and for the most part enjoying these sections, but... my reviews of them essentially end there.

Henceforth, I will be writing a simple acronym (ARM) for Adrift in a Room of Mirrors because the stories contained within have their own titles and I'm sure I'll get tired of typing it out... Just a heads-up for later.

Adrift in a Room of Mirrors: Prologue - Princess Alexandria

     This essentially lays out the how and why of the story. Ms. Christy Taylor, not the same as in Not Myself and 500 Miles but a very similar version, has gotten herself into some trouble with the X-Men. Instead of stay in that universe and cause more trouble for herself and her loved ones, Christy has decided to jump ship and start new elsewhere. With the aid of Annie (see Not Myself) and Doug Ramsey, Christy is able to hop through Scythe (see 500 Miles) with some degree of, well, good luck.
     As I told Princess Alexandria in my initial review: I can't wait to see what happens next. Doug having a new and slightly more interesting power and that Christy could end up somewhere fairly nice for her was awesome. Her mostly blind jumping in 500 Miles got tedious after a while. Anyway, this chapter was a great first chapter and gives a nice introduction/re-introduction to Christy.

ARM: Not so Black and White (Once Upon a Time) - Princess Alexandria

     This chapter appeared in my inbox yesterday and I'd for some reason forgotten I was even reading Adrift in a Room of Mirrors. Imagine my surprise when I ended up there instead of in a chapter of Against the Moon. I quickly realized my mistake and settled in to giggle at Christy... which I do often.
     Another mistake I made was mistaking Henry for his grandfather... That was embarrassing. Henry is not Prince Charming and his castle is definitely NOT in story-book land. Christy lands in front of Henry, at his castle, in the Once Upon a Time Universe. Their little exchange amused me greatly and I'm wondering how Christy is going to cope so out of her element...
     But anyway... I really enjoyed the start to this story. If the earlier chapters and previous fanfictions are any indication, Christy's time in Storybrooke will be awesome. Christy did remind me a bit of Emma (not Emma Frost) but that's okay considering how similar they are in temperament once you think about it.

Housekeeping

As usual, the links to the fanfictions reviewed are in the headings of their respective review. Although Adrift in a Room of Mirrors is posted all as one story, I've linked to the beginning of the story-lines reviewed. Also, Alexandria's fanfiction.net page is linked in three places, for your convenience.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive