Friday, October 4, 2013

The Originals - "Always and Forever" - Review

SPOILER WARNING

If you have not seen either The Vampire Diaries or The Originals, please leave the blog and return after you've watched them. It's more than likely there are spoilers for both series in the review below.


The Originals - "Always and Forever" - Review


Characters:

  • Elijah Mikaelson - Played by Daniel Gillies. Oldest of the surviving Mikaelsons. Original Vampire.
  • Rebekah Mikaelson - Played by Claire Holt. Youngest of the surviving Mikaelsons. Original Vampire.
  • Niklaus "Klaus" Mikaelson - Played by Joseph Morgan. Middle surviving Mikaelson. Original Hybrid.
  • Marcel Gerard - Played by Charles Michael Davis. Ruler of New Orleans. Klaus' protege. Vampire.
  • Davina Claire - Played by Danielle Campbell. Marcel's witch.
  • Sophie Deveraux - Played by Daniella Pineda. Leader of the witches.
  • Hayley Marshall - Played by Phoebe Tonkin. Werewolf. Carrying Klaus' child.
  • Camille O'Connell - Played by Leah Pipes. Bartender. Human.
  • Mikael - Played by Sebastian Roche. Father of the Mikaelson Clan. Deceased.

Review:

Despite having seen and not been impressed by the back-door pilot that aired as part of The Vampire Diaries, I was actually sold on The Originals watching it from Elijah's point of view. Of course, that then went careening over a cliff when Klaus daggered him at the end. So now I'm in this limbo of not knowing whether or not I actually want to watch The Originals. If you'd like to read my original, no pun intended, review, you can do so HERE.

I found Sophie a lot more interesting than I remembered. She actually seems to have a lot of backbone. Linking herself to Hayley, while a good move, is probably going to end up being a disadvantage in the long run, I think. I'm really hoping she stays as tough as she was this episode. If she caves, I will be dropping the show for good, seeing as the person who made The Originals interesting has been taken out of the picture by the most annoying character.

Elijah truly sold The Originals for me. I was always happy when he showed up in TVD. I think he's a lot more interesting than any of his brothers, especially Klaus. I'm extremely glad he's going to any lengths to keep his niece of nephew safe. I truly hope Elijah doesn't stay daggered long.

I enjoyed seeing Rebekah, even though we saw her earlier in TVD that evening being all gooey with Matt. "Always and Forever" is set months before that mess (See my TVD review HERE), so it was nice to see Rebekah sticking to her "Klaus is a brat" routine. As much as I'll be sort of sad to see her leave TVD, I think Rebekah will be much better served on The Originals.

My last thoughts are about Marcel and Davina. I really don't like Marcel. He's the kind of cocky villain that just makes me want to rip his head off. I'd love to know exactly what the relationship is between him and Davina. At this point it's sketchy and really creepy.

So... at this point, I'm gonna say that I'll watch the next couple episodes of The Originals before making a final verdict. "Always and Forever" was really well done, but the ending, as I said, drove it off a cliff for me.

Housekeeping

Just putting in a reminder about my watching and reviewing schedule. The entire thing can be viewed at the Fall Schedule page up there in the navigation bar.

The Originals will be moving to Tuesdays at 7, which is its actual time slot. I'm already watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on Tuesdays at 7 so that's taking precedence.

The Vampire Diaries is on at the same time as Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, Thursdays at 7. Once Upon a Time in Wonderland takes precedence because... well, because I say so.

I am planning to review both The Vampire Diaries and The Originals on Saturdays.

Love ya, Jessie love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive