Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - "Eye-Spy" - Review

Intro

This will probably be the only review I get out on time this week, unless I write up a few this evening and put them on a posting schedule. This, my dears, is what happens when you get a job and have to work two days in a row.

SPOILER WARNING

The following review is for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Season 1, Episode 4: "Eye-Spy." If you have not seen this episode, or the previous ones, be aware that I spoil the entire episode just within the character list at the start of the review. So, do yourself a favor and head over to watchabc.go.com to watch the episodes before reading this review.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - "Eye-Spy" - Review

Characters:

Review:

Personally, I was really disappointed to find out that Akela wasn't telepathic. However, that didn't subtract anything from my enjoyment of "Eye-Spy." On the contrary, I very much enjoyed what they did without the use of telepathy. The in-eye camera was a really cool concept. Although it turned out fairly badly for Akela and "The Englishman," I look forward to the technology possibly be used in the future.
I'm not sure how I feel about the red-masked people turning out to be not at all creepy or cult-ish. I think, though, that I'm going to chalk that up to being Marketing's fault and move on.
I thought Akela was an interesting character. I didn't get an exact read on her personality, but she seemed alright, as far as that goes. I liked how she attempted to protect May and Coulson by either not looking at them or at least not doing so directly. I also liked that she noticed something was up with Coulson. I very much wonder what exactly it was that made her notice it.
I really love the different team dynamics we got here. First Coulson and Ward splitting off and leaving Fitz-Simmons and Skye together. Coulson and Ward make an interesting little duo, though I was much more interested in the nerd-trio we got. Fitz is adorable. There are not two ways around that. I like that Simmons mothers him and Skye treats him as a sort of younger brother. At least, that's what I gleaned from their interactions. The scene at the very end with Fitz cheating at poker through Skye's use of the eye-tech was very cute. It made me laugh. Skye and Ward working together more now was fun. The best part of that was, of course, the argument over seducing the guard.
I want to touch a little bit on May. I thought it was interesting the way she was placed standing over the loading bay of the Bus when the team came straggling in. She obviously has some authority issues where Couslon comes in. It makes me wonder about their history. That said, I enjoyed their chemistry.
But uh... yeah... that's pretty much all I've got for "Eye-Spy." Another solid AoS episode and next week looks extremely interesting. I figured they'd let that particular plot thread go for a while longer, but I guess not.

Miscellaneous Notes:

  • Fitz sucks at naming stuff. It's awesomely adorable.
  • I love watching Chloe. Her expressions in the background of shots are just great.
  • I like that Coulson doesn't appreciate Ward's "humor" at naming the van.
  • Can't wait to see if we see the organization behind Akela's eye-camera.

Favorite Lines:

"You're a robot. Can you do that?" - Skye
"Seduce him." - The Englishman

Housekeeping

See the Sleepy Hollow review for the housekeeping section. I'm not retyping that.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive