Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sleepy Hollow - "The Lesser Key of Solomon" - Review

Intro

Yup, definitely sick now. But lucky you, you get a review from me despite my sickness. I say all this because I will probably make some grave errors in spelling or by rambling unnecessarily or something. Please excuse these errors, if you will. That would be lovely, thank you.

Sleepy Hollow - "The Lesser Key of Solomon" - Review

Characters:

  • Lieutenant Abigail "Abbie" Mills - Played by Nicole Beharie and Jahnee Wallace. The "Second Witness." Saw the Four Trees as a child with her sister.
  • Ichabod Crane - Played by Tom Mison. The "First Witness." Sort of time traveled from the Revolutionary War to the present because of his magical blood connection with the Headless Horseman.
  • Captain Frank Irving - Played by Orlando Jones. Sleepy Hollow's Police Captain.
  • Jennifer "Jenny" Mills - Played by Lyndie Greenwood and India Scandrick. Abbie's sister. Saw the Four Trees as a child. In a mental institution.
  • Detective Luke Morales - Played by Nicholas Gonzalez. Abbie's ex-boyfriend.
  • Sheriff August Corbin - Played by Clancy Brown. The second modern day victim of the Headless Horseman. Deceased.
  • Wendel Clark - Played by Phillip DeVona. A friend of Jenny's. Deceased.
  • Hessian Leader - Played by Carsten Norgaard.
  • Hagen - Played by Lars Gerhard. Second-In-Command Hessian, presumably.
  • Devon Jones - Played by Michael Roark. Luke's partner?

Review:

I feel like going in a semi-chronological order today so we're gonna start with the flashbacks. I thought all the flashbacks were well done, though I did not like the fisheye lens that was used. It bugged me. I could understand blurring the edges of the screen, but I didn't think the fisheye lens worked well for what it was supposed to do.

Next up, the weird recap-y thing with Ichabod talking to the "Northstar" agent. I was honestly confused by that until I realized it was being played for a laugh. After that, it was funny, especially considering how sincere Ichabod was. Other than that, I have a feeling the scene was pretty much there to shake off the Ichabod/Abbie shippers out there. Ichabod is clearly still in love with his wife, Katrina.

I thought Jenny turned out to be a lot more interesting that I thought she was. Abbie's characterization of her in the last episode painted her as a criminal. I like that Jenny actually turned out to be, not only a freedom fighter, but working for Corbin. I like that Jenny has combat training. I like that she doesn't need the crazy spoon-fed to her. I like that she's delightfully snarky. I wasn't entirely impressed, however, with her very conspicuous outfit when she picked up her "Go Bag" from Wendel. I'll let it slide, but that was a really obvious "I'm hiding from someone" outfit.

It was really amusing to see Abbie and Jenny interact. I felt they really felt like sisters. I can imagine my sisters and I having a fight like that, only without the guns. It was extra amusing to have Ichabod being the moderator between them. He was the perfect mix of stern and witty.

I'm going to spend a very small amount of time on the lead Hessian the trio captured. I liked him as a one-off villain, but I was shouting at my TV when he bit the cyanide capsule. Checking the mouths of terrorists for these things should be standard practice. I cannot believe the number of people with poison capsules or razors in their mouths who really should have been checked for these things.

The showdown scene was cool. I liked the special effects with the book and the baptismal font. The demons or souls or whatever were nicely creepy-looking. I will say that bad guys need to stop telling the good guys to drop stuff. Good guys are usually smart enough to do what Abbie did and drop the item in such a way as to foil the bad guys anyway. Only morons drop the item straight down.

The last scene between Abbie and Jenny was kind of heartwarming... though that's not really the word I want to use. I enjoyed the sisters talk/banter. I figured Abbie would have a way to get Jenny remanded into her custody, though I was pleasantly surprised they spent some time explaining how that would work.

Overall, "The Lesser Key of Solomon" was a solid episode. I really enjoyed watching it and I can't wait for next week's episode.

Miscellaneous Notes:

  • The Demon uses cell phones now?
  • I seriously love the opening title sequence.
  • Corbin was the master of cool hiding places.
  • The sextant/projector was pretty cool.
  • I don't remember memorizing bits of Revelation in my Parochial school.
  • It figured Moloch would be the demon in charge.
  • I like how Ichabod shoots. It's very gentlemanly.

Favorite Lines:

  • "You have one choice right now: that is to tell me something, anything that will help me find her, or so help me, I will rain legal brimstone down on you so hard it will make God jealous." - Abbie
  • "Imagine the delinquency we could perpetrate if we really put our minds to it." - Ichabod
  • "I kind of learned long ago that if you don't fight for the things you stand for, you don't really stand for them." - Jenny

Housekeeping

Okay so, tonight we've got Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. airing and also The Originals. I'll be reviewing Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tomorrow and The Originals this weekend.

Love ya, Jessie love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive