Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Originals - "House of the Rising Son" - Review

SPOILER WARNING

The following review is for The Originals, Season 1, Episode 2: "House of the Rising Son." If you have not seen it, you should go watch it before reading this review. I will be spoiling episode elements, as usual.

The Originals - "House of the Riding Son" - Review

Characters:

  • Elijah Mikaelson - Played by Daniel Gillies. Oldest of the surviving Mikaelsons. Original Vampire.
  • Rebekah Mikaelson - Played by Claire Holt. Youngest of the surviving Mikaelsons. Original Vampire.
  • Niklaus "Klaus" Mikaelson - Played by Joseph Morgan. Middle surviving Mikaelson. Original Hybrid.
  • Marcel Gerard - Played by Charles Michael Davis. Ruler of New Orleans. Klaus' protege. Vampire.
  • Davina Claire - Played by Danielle Campbell. Marcel's witch.
  • Sophie Deveraux - Played by Daniella Pineda. Leader of the witches.
  • Hayley Marshall - Played by Phoebe Tonkin. Werewolf. Carrying Klaus' child.
  • Camille "Cami" O'Connell - Played by Leah Pipes. Bartender. Human.
  • Thierry - Played by Callard Harris. Vampire. One of Marcel's "daywalkers."

Review:

Well... I didn't hate this episode and I didn't hate Klaus so much in it. That's probably because now that Klaus doesn't have to be overshadowed by Damon, Elena, Stefan, and the rest of Mystic Falls, he can have some actual character development. In this episode, Klaus actually comes off a lot better, even when he appears to be being bratty. He has an actual plan for what to do about Marcel and for keeping Hayley safe to the best of his ability.

I very much enjoyed Rebekah in this episode. She's got all of that lovely spunk and is not taking crap from her brother. I find it very interesting, though, that she let Klaus manipulate her feelings for as long as he has. I was actually rather impressed with the initiative she showed in looking for Elijah. It was also fun to see her do some fighting and to see her bonding with Hayley. I did find it a bit weird that Rebekah seems to be doing the vulnerable soul-sharing thing with both Hayley and Sophie, especially considering she just met them both. It was fun to get that stuff on her, but the way it was done was weird, is all.

Hayley is still very much a wild card in my books. Yeah, she realized she doesn't want to kill her baby, but there hasn't really been much development besides that. I did like, however, that she stole the daggers for Rebekah. It was sweet. I can sort of see myself starting to ship the pair of them, except that won't ever happen so... it'd join my legion of "not happening" fan ships.

And now we come to Marcel. I really, really don't like him. I found it interesting that his history with Klaus, Rebekah, and Elijah goes back as far as it does. I wouldn't have guessed that Klaus would take him in like he did. It was also a bit interesting that Marcel decided to be turned instead of choosing Rebekah. He had clearly decided on Rebekah beforehand, but apparently changed his mind. I found his protectiveness over Cami kind of sweet, but it's not enough to make me like him at all.

Pretty interesting episode, but not completely stellar as far as I'm concerned.

Miscellaneous Notes:

  • I think it's really weird that the deaths of Finn, Kol, and Mikael were completely glossed over in this episode. They were Originals and they were killed, but I suppose lack of white oak stakes makes it rather hard to kill Rebekah and Klaus.
  • Anyone want to mention that it's weird when vampires who help raise humans who then become vampires and/or old enough to date then end up dating and/or sleeping with each other? No? Just me?
  • Davina is clearly psychotic. I wonder how Marcel ended up with her.

Favorite Line:

"Klaus, get out here and tell me what you've done with our brother, you narcissistic, back-stabbing wanker!" - Rebekah.

Love ya, Jessie character00165 Free Emoticons   Characters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive