Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Reign - Pilot - Review

Intro

Just wanted to say: the character list for Reign is going to be a tad different than the usual. Anyone who I'm sure was a real person will have their name linked to the corresponding Wiki page, as well as the actor names linked to the corresponding IMDB page.

SPOILER WARNING

The following review is for Reign, Season 1, Episode 1. If you have not seen it, go over to cwtv.com to watch it... unless it's not there anymore. In which case... find somewhere else to watch it? Or perhaps pick up a history book.

Reign - "Pilot" - Review

Characters:


Review:

Although my usual TV watching consists mainly of "Genre" television, I also enjoy the occasional Period Drama. While Reign is certainly Period Drama, it wasn't what I'd been expecting. I really should have known better, considering Reign is a CW show. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Reign, it's just that it wasn't the usual "historical reenactment" kind of thing I tend to watch...

I'm not currently attached to any of the characters. I did, however, like Mary and Sebastian the best. Mary has always intrigued me as she plays a big part in the story of Elizabeth I. So far I like how Mary's been characterized. Sebastian interests me because he seems like a nice guy with no alternative agenda. Of course, only time will tell with that, but for now he's firmly on my "like" list.

I also sort of like the supernatural element, if it is a supernatural element. I don't have a problem adding that. The supernatural makes history slightly more interesting. Even if it turns out to not be supernatural, it's intriguing.

Most everything else was standard Period Drama. The only thing that really bugged me was the music. Not so much the anachronistic-ness of it, but the volume. All the music, even the incidental stuff, was really loud. Oh, and Mary would not have been left on her own if her life was in danger. That's just dumb.

All of that said, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the Season.

Miscellaneous Notes:

  • No, the assassination attempt wasn't gross or creepifying at all.
  • Mary being awkward is endearing.
  • I had no idea Anna Popplewell was going to be in this.

Housekeeping

I managed to finish another couple of reviews this evening, but they won't be going up until sometime tomorrow because it's late and certain members of my family have managed to piss me off... again.

Love ya, Jessie. character00165 Free Emoticons   Characters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive