Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Trust Me, Alice

Intro

I got two reviews done last night! Well... one was in the afternoon, but the other one I wrote during Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Supernatural. Knowing me, these might be the only two reviews you get from me today, but I could also be completely wrong and decide not to be lazy... ya never know.

The reviews will, of course, be posted on their own posts, possibly hours apart.

SPOILER WARNING

The following review is for Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, Season 1, Episode 2. If you have not seen the episode, please head over to watchabc.go.com in order to view it before reading this review... assuming they still have it up, of course. I don't know when you're reading this.

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland - "Trust Me" - Review

Characters:

  • Alice - Played by Sophie Lowe. Main protagonist. Cyrus' Fiancee.
  • Cyrus - Played by Peter Gadiot. Genie. Alice's Fiance.
  • Red Queen - Played by Emma Rigby. Antagonist. Ruler of Wonderland.
  • Knave of Hearts - Played by Michael Socha. Alice's ally.
  • Jafar - Played by Naveen Andrews. Antagonist. Keeping Cyrus prisoner.
  • White Rabbit - Voiced by John Lithgow. Works for the Red Queen keeping tabs on Alice.
  • Silvermist - Played by Jordana Largy. A fairy who has history with the Knave.

Review:

Okay so... the main thrust of the entire story seems to be a really fast love story. Or at least it seems that way to me. And yes, I'm aware the "Once Upon a Time Multiverse" has a lot of "love at first sight" crap that goes on. However, if it had been revealed last episode that Alice and Cyrus' "epic love story" had happened as quickly as it did, I would be a lot less invested in it. All of that said, I sincerely hope we get more than we've gotten with the pair of them adventuring together. The "love at first sight" nonsense does nothing for me.

What does work for me is a pair of fairly equally matched villains. I very much enjoyed the power struggle between Jafar and the Red Queen. Jafar is one of those ridiculously impatient villains, which bugs me. Also, his legion of bugs was creepifying. The Red Queen earned some respect when it was revealed she was actually trying to govern her kingdom. That's fairly rare with royal villains. I'm really looking forward to seeing more from the pair of them and hope they do more than bicker next time.

Even though I don't think we'll get it, I'm really interested in what went on between the Knave and Silvermist. I liked Silvermist a lot more than I liked the Blue Fairy from Once Upon a Time. Silvermist might be up there with Tinker Bell at the moment.

The Mock Turtle was much, much bigger than I'd envisioned while reading Alice in Wonderland. I thought it was convenient the turtle was exactly where he or she was, though that didn't really take me out of the story at all. I actually quite liked the Mock Turtle, for all we saw a bit of his/her shell and head. I figured out it was a turtle before Alice realized.

Other than that, I really don't have much to say about the episode. It wasn't spectacular, but I'm not expecting absolute perfection with every episode. I can say I'm incredibly interested in seeing how the remaining episodes turn out.

Miscellaneous Notes:

  • Agrabah has an interesting style. Not what I expected, to be honest.
  • Like the Clothes Horse concept. Nice excuse for a much needed costume change for Alice.
  • Genies and silver don't mix. Who knew?
  • 4 Magical Laws: You cannot change the past. You cannot kill. You cannot bring people back from the dead. You cannot use magic to induce love.
  • Wishing genies free does not work. Weird.
  • Who is this Anastasia?
  • Bottle got stolen. Someone was spying and of course it would be the rabbit, even if he wasn't "spying" at the time.
  • Using magic paper to get a message to Alice is clever.

Favorite Line:

"The one thing you can count on in Wonderland is that you can't count on anyone." - Alice

Housekeeping

Let me know what you thought in the comments below!

Love ya, Jessie Pink Ghost

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive