Thursday, October 17, 2013

Supernatural - "Devil May Care" - Review

Intro

The second of two reviews going out today... for now anyway. See the last Arrow review for details regarding that.

SPOILER WARNING

The following review is for Supernatural, Season 9, Episode 2. If you have not seen the episode, I highly recommend you head over to cwtv.com and watch it before reading this review. If you haven't seen the first 8 Seasons of Supernatural, I recommend either picking up the DVDs or getting Netflix and watching those before reading this review. I will spoil things from the get-go.

Supernatural - "Devil May Care" - Review

Characters:


Review:

I don't think I've laughed so much watching an episode of Supernatural in a very long time. I'm really, really loving the Season so far. There wasn't a single bit of the episode I disliked. However, that doesn't mean I don't have things to discuss.

I very much enjoyed the return of Crowley. Crowley is seriously one of my favorite characters, and not just because he's played brilliantly by Mark Sheppard, though that helps. I didn't really expect him to recover from his humanity spell-thing as quickly as he did, though I'm glad we didn't end up with weepy Crowley. I thought he was weirdly preoccupied by S&M things this episode, though I can sort of see why. I liked that he went and attempted to manipulate Kevin. I liked that Sam and Dean left him to stew on his own instead of attempting torture.

I liked Kevin's little arc here. Now that I actually think about it, his reaction to Crowley strongly reminds me of Wesley's reaction to Faith on Angel. It makes sense Kevin would not only be angry at Sam and Dean for keeping Crowley around and alive but also go beat the crap out of Crowley when he had the chance. Mind you, I know Kevin didn't go down there looking for Crowley, but it made sense to me he'd fall for Crowley's baiting. I also very much enjoyed the bit at the end where Dean tells Kevin he's family.

Uhm... let's move on to Abaddon. I will probably never spell her name right consistently, so just be aware of that. I like that Abaddon was brought back, though I'm not sure why it had to be the same vessel she had before. Not that I have anything against the actress, but it seemed weird that she didn't just find a new vessel. I though Abaddon was wonderfully villainous, if not a tiny bit over the top. I like that she's making use of modern technology as a lot of other demons clearly aren't. I thought the scene where she was taunting Dean was... strange. And again with the S&M this episode. I would like to know why she just up and scampered when Ezekiel showed himself. Seems a Knight of Hell is afraid of angels. Interesting, to say the least.

Having other Hunters show up was nice. I always love when we get some expanded universe. Nice to be reminded the boys aren't the only Hunters out there. I very much liked both Irv and Tracy. I was sad to see Irv go so quickly, especially after he had that clearly manipulative speech about being lonely and whatnot. It worked on me, what can I say? Tracy was a tad more interesting and I hope we get more of her. I like that she had some slight history with the boys, even if they weren't aware of it.

Lastly, we must of course address the Ezekiel secret. I'm right there with Dean on it being weird talking to someone who is and is not his brother. I was actually really surprised to see Ezekiel show his wings so soon. Didn't think we'd get that for a while yet. Good to know that he's not just gonna be forgotten in the background. I thought Jared did a really nice job portraying Ezekiel. Nice to see him getting to stretch his acting muscles a little.

Overall, I would characterize this episode as the calm before the storm. I mean, yeah, it's nice to have a light episode every once in a while. I was calling for them last Season after everything got all depressing. However, I really do think the next episode will be less funny and more down-to-business.

Miscellaneous Notes:

  • Dean doing mentoring stuff again is nice.
  • It's kind of strange having Dean almost making me cry.

Favorite Lines:

"Things go Breaking Bad, he knows our number." - Dean

"He's the junk in my trunk." - Dean

Most of what came out of Crowley's mouth while talking to the boys... which I would write out and type but... I'm too lazy. That entire scene was gold.

Housekeeping

See the Arrow review for the Housekeeping.

Love ya, Jessie. character00160 Free Emoticons   Characters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive