Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Grimm - "The Ungrateful Dead" - Review

Intro

Second review of the day. There's a lot of gushing. You've been warned.

SPOILER WARNING

The following review is for Grimm, Season 3, Episode 1: "The Ungrateful Dead." If you haven't seen it, or the first two Seasons, you should go watch them. Things will be spoiled.

Grimm - "The Ungrateful Dead" - Review

Characters:


Review:

Grimm is back! Party Time! party0048 Free Party Emoticons party0051 Free Party Emoticons

I, for one, really, really enjoyed this episode. It was everything I was hoping, despite no one actually ending up in Europe. There was action, there were surprises, there was peril, there were awesome effects, and then came the snarky end screen. Even that was awesome. I laughed and then had to explain to my dad about the snarky end screens.

I'm going to start my actual discussion with Adalind. Her section of the episode was brief, but important as far as her character goes. I thoroughly enjoyed the seriously disgusting rituals Adalind was subjected to. I'm glad Frau Pech had more to do with the rituals, rather than just being dead. I enjoyed all of Adalind's facial expressions and the snarky comments. The entire thing felt real, which is both good and important. Hokey rituals do not good TV make.

Okay, now on to the meat of the episode. The "zombies" were a lot more fun this time, mostly because they were active. I was actually scared for Monroe, Rosalee, and Juliette. I liked Wu's plan to stuff all the "zombies" in a container. The scene where they had to add another one reminded me, strangely enough, of the Monster Book of Monsters bit in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I really enjoyed seeing out "Scooby Gang" come together when they realized Nick had been kidnapped. The car ride to the airport was amusing and probably a lot more awkward in the parts we didn't get to see. I can just imagine the silence.

I thought Juliette was pretty awesome this episode. She didn't come off as whiny and it was cool to see her and Rosalee geek out a bit. I especially loved Monroe being very confused during that bit. I also found Juliette's concern for Nick more believable than it had been, at least for me anyway. It's a very good thing, too, because I do love Juliette.

Nick totally Hulking out because he's a Grimm was awesome! I loved the fight on the plane. I loved the confused look The Baron got when Nick started punching his way out of the coffin. I love that the plane didn't actually get very far. I thought the world through Hulk-Nick's eyes was interesting. I do wonder where he's going and/or what he's looking for. It did seem like he was looking for something, right?

This ain't over yet.


Miscellaneous Notes:

  • Long recap there at the beginning, but good for ramping up the tension after the break.
  • Chemistry time with an agitated Blutbad.
  • Poor Wu and those other officers.
  • I missed Monroe's reactions to stuff.
  • Of course, leave the girls outside.

Favorite Lines:

"How many tests do you have?" - Adalind

"What you mean we get them to smoke it?" - Monroe

"If one of them bites me again..." - Wu

"Thank God."
"I wouldn't." - Adalind and Stefania

Love ya, Jessie character00165 Free Emoticons   Characters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive