Monday, October 28, 2013

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland - "Forget Me Not" - Review

Intro

See the previous post for what I'm up to today.

SPOILER WARNING

The following review is for Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, Season 1, Episode 3: "Forget Me Not." If you have not seen the episode and don't wish to be spoiled, go watch it before reading this review.

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland - "Forget Me Not" - Review

Characters:

Review:

In direct contrast to the depressing-ville Once Upon a Time was this same week, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was a lot or action-y fun. We got a thieves den, a really interesting take on the Caterpillar, and fights with both Grendel and Bandersnatch. There was also development of Alice, the Knave, and, surprisingly, a bit with the Red Queen.

I was really glad the Caterpillar turned out to be more than just the high, confusing creature he normally is in most Alice in Wonderland renditions. I like the twist that he's a creepy bookie. I thought the animation bringing the Caterpillar to life was very good. He felt like he fit the world in just the right way.

The Grendel wasn't very creepy, I didn't think. It was pretty darn clear he was using the Forget Me Not to watch his wife. I don't know why Alice thought we was watching some random people who owned the house before. Even normal villains wouldn't do that for kicks. I was really happy with the way Grendel ended up helping Alice and the Knave, though I was less impressed when he turned on them almost immediately. Not that the promise of getting his wife back was bad motivation for the turn around, but considering the Red Queen had previously cursed him... I dunno, that didn't sit right with me.

I was somewhat amused by the Robin Hood flashbacks. Even if I didn't know the Knave had bad intentions, I wouldn't have bought into his scheme. That said, the Robin Hood stuff made me more attached to Robin himself. I was actually really shocked to find out that the Knave is Will Scarlet. Although I had noticed Alice calling him Will, the character of Will Scarlet never crossed my mind. The reveal of who Anastasia was however, was a lot less shocking.

Speaking of which, I though the facade the Red Queen and Jafar put on while talking with Cyrus and Grendel was fun. Now if only they could get to that point outside of the facade, things would be awesome. Well, as awesome as villains can get anyway.

I sincerely enjoyed this episode. There was a lot to get my teeth into. I'm annoyed we have to wait until November 7th for the next episode.

Miscellaneous Notes:

  • Jafar flirting is creepy!
  • Liked the movie Bandersnatch better. This one looks like a boar and is a lot less cuddly.
  • I didn't like how Grendel was manipulated and then killed. The poor, poor man.
  • Forget Me Not looks into the past. Would probably be important to remember if Will hadn't burnt it.
  • Looking Glass = portal.

Housekeeping

After a brief interruption with yard work, the second of today's reviews is finished! Next up, Supernatural, "I'm No Angel."

Love ya, Jessie character00165 Free Emoticons   Characters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive