Friday, September 27, 2013

The Crazy Ones - Pilot - Review

Intro

Okay so, today I've done some job hunting, babysat for about ten minutes, attempted to fix one of my fans, and gone to Sam's. I'm currently hot, kinda sweaty, and still somewhat ocillating between reviewing The Crazy Ones and Batman Beyond, Season 3 or just one or the other. Presently, I'm going with just The Crazy Ones.

And that, my wonderful readers, is why I'm kind of stressed right now. Please excuse any ramblings I might go on today, The Crazy Ones review hasn't been pre-written so... this is going to be interesting and horribly structured, I think...


SPOILER WARNING

If you have not seen the first episode of The Crazy Ones, please leave the blog, watch it, and come back. I will most likely be spoiling stuff.

The Crazy Ones - "Pilot" - Review

Characters:


Review:

I think it's pretty clear, considering the very brief and obviously uninformed character descriptions, I don't have a really good grasp on the characters. That's not to say I didn't get who they were and what they were supposed to be doing, it's more like I'm not sure how to describe them. I thought they were all pretty good in the limited roles most of them played in the pilot. I was actually pleasantly surprised to see Hamish Linklater. I quite like him.

I was not incredibly amused during this episode. There were a few parts where I giggled to myself, but it didn't make me laugh so much. I laughed a lot more at the Season Premiere of Two and a Half Men that aired after The Crazy Ones than I actually did watching The Crazy Ones.

I felt The Crazy Ones was attempting to find a happy medium between drama and comedy, but it largely failed on both counts in this episode. The entire show was essentially split up between Sarah Michelle Gellar being the straight man to Robin Williams and Kelly Clarkson acting like a diva. I thought the dynamic between Simon and Sydney to be realistic, considering I have a lifetime of first hand experience with a comedic dad. I was not at all impressed with Kelly Clarkson. She made me want to punch her in the face.

I didn't like that the McDonalds product placement was so blatant. I get that Roberts and Roberts is an ad company, but I didn't feel like McDonalds should have been the client. It was an excuse for the product placement and to have Kelly Clarkson sing a raunchy song on screen.

My favorite scene, mostly for the Buffy: The Vampire Slayer flashback was the one in the restaurant where Kelly made Sydney sing. I knew that would be amusing, considering Sarah can't really sing.

Overall, I thought The Crazy Ones pilot could have been a lot better.

Housekeeping

I will definitely have the Batman Beyond, Season 3 review up tomorrow. When I typed up my new post last night, it was late and I'd forgotten about The Crazy Ones review. Also, I'm sorry for using character names and actor names interchangeably, I would have just gone with actor names, but... there were points where I was talking about the characters and not the actors so... yeah...

Again, sorry for the rambling and whatnot. I'm stressed and my eyelid is twitching. Twitching Smiley

Love ya, Jessie love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment