Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sleepy Hollow - "Blood Moon" - Review

Characters:
  • Lieutenant Abigail "Abbie" Mills - Played by Nicole Beharie. The "Second Witness." Saw the Four Trees as a child with her sister.
  • Ichabod Crane - Played by Tom Mison. The "First Witness." Sort of time traveled from the Revolutionary War to the present because of his magical blood connection with the Headless Horseman.
  • Captain Frank Irving - Played by Orlando Jones. Sleepy Hollow's Police Captain.
  • Katrina Crane - Played by Katia Winter. Ichabod's wife. Apparently a witch of some sort. Shows up as a Hawk and in mirrors.
  • Sheriff August Corbin - Played by Clancy Brown. The second modern day victim of the Headless Horseman. Abbie's mentor.
  • Andy Dunn - Played by John Cho. Undead demon minion.
  • Jennifer "Jenny" Mills - Played by Lyndie Greenwood. Abbie's sister. Saw the Four Trees as a child. In a mental institution.
  • Luke - Abbie's ex-boyfriend. Also a cop.
  • Serilda of Abadon - High Priestess of the evil coven. Brought back to serve the demon.

Review:

I have to say, Sleepy Hollow just keeps impressing me. "Blood Moon"s best aspect was the atmosphere, which I will discuss in just a bit. I was also impressed by Abbie and Ichabod's chemistry. Even at this early stage in their development, I can see they're definitely meant to be partners. It's also very hard to see anyone else playing those roles.

Right, I was going to talk about atmosphere. Sleepy Hollow has the same kind of hyper-realistic yet creepy atmosphere all the good supernatural/horror movies have. I was strongly reminded of the atmosphere in The Covenant and Cabin In the Woods. I really love it and I hope they manage to keep it up.

I also really loved the special effects and makeup. Serilda's pre-reconstitution look was awesome and really well done. I wasn't expecting to see Andy back at all, but they way they brough him back was amazing. I liked the way they had him walking around with his neck all bent backward, though it had me cringing the entire time. His death palor and neck folds were nice to see, too. I also thought the burned up guy in the car was impressive. It reminded me of an episode of Fringe, only all black and stuff.

Speaking of Fringe, apparently Ichabod has an Eidetic memory, like Olivia. That should come in handy down the line, I think. In addition to Ichabod and Abbie's interaction, I enjoyed seeing him interact with other people. My favorite exchange was his conversation with Luke. It amused me. As did the sticky notes Abbie left all over his hotel room. That was great. I found Ichabod's fascination with light bulbs to be really endearing.

Finally we come to Lt. Abbie. I liked her a lot more this episode. She didn't flinch as much and we got more insight into her background. I'm wondering how long her hallucinating/seeing Corbin is going to last. I also can't wait to see how Abbie and Jenny end up interacting. Should be fun finding out.

Miscellaneous Notes:

  • The upside-down shot is already old.
  • Love the opening sequence!
  • Sisterhood of the Radiant Heart is Katrina's coven.
  • Loved the ashes in the urn twist.
  • Pilot vs Series inconsistency #1: Irving suddenly not so gung ho about the supernatural stuff.

 

Theories:

  • The tunnels are going to be very much like the sewers were on Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and Angel.
  • I'm going to like Jenny.

 

Extras:

DVMPE's Sleepy Hollow Podcast was my first choice for podcasts about Sleepy Hollow. The DVMPE is very consistent in their quality and so far, I've been loving The Sleepy Hollow Podcast.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment