Monday, February 25, 2013

The Golden Compass - Review

Funniest thing that happened to me today: It's extremely windy here. So much so that we've apparently been issued a "Wind Advisory" by the national weather service. So anyway, we (my mom, sister, and nephew) were getting in the car after walking around Babies 'R' Us. I'd moved a cart away from our minivan and darted into the passenger seat. As I was trying to get in and close the door, the cart came careening toward the van. My mom, sister, and I all screamed like we were in a horror movie... and then spent the next five minutes laughing hysterically. The cart went on its merry way into the parking lot, away from Babies 'R' Us.

Also, there were no Once Upon a Time initial reactions yesterday and no Once Upon a Time review today because the Oscars were on. I didn't watch them and apparently missed one of my favorite actresses falling on her face. Meh. I'd have rather had Once Upon a Time on.

Instead, I have a book review for you. If you have not read The Golden Compass/Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman, there are SPOILERS in my review.

His Dark Materials, Book I: The Golden Compass/Northen Lights by Phillip Pullman - Review

This is one of those books that's apparently a favorite of every book nerd in my generation. They read it in school, I think, and really liked it. I didn't read it until a couple years ago and just recently finished rereading it. I reread it, not because I liked it the first time through, but because I didn't like it and feel sort of obligated to like it. I've heard some people talk about it recently and felt like I should give it another chance. I did, and I still don't like it.

I think part of that dislike has to do with the main character, Lyra Belacqua (later renamed Lyra Silvertongue). I don't know exactly what it is about her that irks me, but there are a few things I can pinpoint. Okay, maybe it's one thing, but it seems like two: Lyra's sudden change in character from the second to the third parts of the book. Lyra is supposed to be incredibly observant and insightful, but she flat out does not notice when Lord Asriel starts acting like she's the dirt on his shoes and is much more interested in Roger than his daughter turning up out of the blue. Another part of this is how she addresses Iorek Byrnison. She goes from just calling him Iorek or Iorek Byrnison to calling him "dear" or "my dear." It's because of this that she all of a sudden seems to speak in a much more "grown up" manner than before. It bugged me. A lot.

Another thing that seriously bugs me is the way the adults tend to be either really sympathetic or really not. There's not inbetween here. Well, except for the ones who are just there. There's also no reason given as to why they are the way they are. Lyra's fairly unfazed by it, too, I noticed. Not worrying a bit when characters go from trying to sweet-talk her to trying to essentially kill her or something.

So, essentially my main problem with The Golden Compass is the utter lack of relatable characters. Or rather, the utter lack of believable characterization of any of the characters. Lyra's a brat who's weirdly observant when she needs to be and completely oblivious otherwise. Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter are too caught up in their self-centered mentalities to be either good parents or villains. Farder Coram gets next to no characterization outside of doting on Lyra and having earlier been a lover of Serafina's. Iorek Byrnison... he's a bear bent on protecting the girl who gave him back his armor and revenge. Lee Scoresby is by far the most interesting of the bunch because all his characterization is done through his talk with Serafina. Serafina Pekkala is interesting only because we get so little information about her. And finally, Pantalaimon is Lyra's  daemon, conscience, and soul who she never listens to, ever.

Speaking of daemons, they were one of the only things I liked, along with the Alethiometer. The daemons remind me a lot of traditional witches familiars. The shapes they take are interesting and about the only thing expanded upon well enough in the book. The Alethiometer was a nice way of moving the plot along without Lyra actually knowing what was going on. Which I didn't get the reasoning for... I'm not saying I always need the plot spelled out for me, but when Lyra is essentially stumbling from one thing to the next in order to get to her father... and then things go all to hell... the book was barely holding my interest halfway through!

The last thing I liked was the storyline involving the church vs. science. It wasn't fleshed out at all because Lyra didn't really care much about it, but I thought it was much more interesting than what Lyra was doing. I'm always intrigued to see how the church is dealt with in fantasy novels.

Even though I wasn't fond of The Golden Compass, I'm currently reading The Subtle Knife. So far, my opinion of Lyra has only worsened. I haven't decided yet if I will be continuing on to the third book, as was my intention when deciding to reread The Golden Compass.

Housekeeping

I have no idea what I'm going to be doing tomorrow. Tuesdays are always a bit weird when there's nothing on TV on Mondays...

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment