Monday, February 11, 2013

Games Tiny Ponies Play

Today was much more relaxing than the weekend. Surprising because it's Monday, no?

Anyways... here's the SPOILER WARNING. If you have not seen this weekend's episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic or Once Upon a Time and you care about being SPOILED, you should leave the blog, watch the episodes, and come back to the blog later. There will be SPOILERS.

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic - "Games Ponies Play" - Review

I quite enjoyed this episode, though I'm not exactly happy with bits of it. One of the bits I detailed in my review of "Just For Sidekicks." The other bit was... I felt the Mane Six not realizing they had the wrong pony felt like it was insulting their intelligence. Ms. Peachbottom was very obviously not Ms. Harshwhinny. A games inspector, especially an official games inspector, would not have been acting at all like Ms. Peachbottom did. She was just too... ridiculous and laid back. She also wasn't acting like she was inspecting anything. She was surprised by everything the ponies were doing. She was just obviously not the games inspector. Also, the type of luggage being the only thing they had to identify Ms. Harshwhinny... what? Why? That was not explained at all.

I did, however, like that they made the Crystal Ponies all crystal-y. I thought it was a bit odd that they went all crystal-y and suddenly weren't... it made much more sense in this episode. I liked that we had a bunch of new character designs. I liked that we got both Shining Armor and Cadance showing up. I liked watching the Mane Six scramble to get everything just perfect. I liked that Twilight didn't go completely crazy. There should have been more made of that, but it was nice that it was addressed. At the same time, that was something I was going "huh?" about. It seemed like a non-issue that was suddenly an issue. She did fine at the wedding and everything since... meh.

Once Upon a Time - "Tiny" - Review

I think it would have been better for this episode to have been stretched to cover at least one more. The entire giant thing was rushed. Anton was made out to be stupid and completely dense. I had no sympathy for Arlo when he died. I wanted to slap him when he just started talking about "growing beans is what we do!" So annoying. I had no problem with Jack dying the way she did. I had no real connection to her. Also, I'm glad James is dead. Good riddance.

One big thing that bothered me: The Giant Wars. Hook told Emma that the giants were killed in a war. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wars usually last longer than a few hours, right? Also, Jack apparently got her sword engraved just to go die with it? Huh? Why? I'm not exactly clear on how that entire thing constituted a war. That was a crap war.

I thought the bit with Gold/Rumple in the airport was interesting. I'm not sure exactly what happened when the shawl was going through the metal detector, but they made it seem like he was having some mental stress there. I'm glad to see he's actually affected by not having magic. He's been using it as a crutch for so long. It's nice to see him freaking out a bit about it.

I'm not at all happy about Regina. I thought when she showed up at the apartment that maybe she was going to tell Snow and Charming about Cora attempting to manipulate her and maybe double cross her. But no, she's just being strangely obsessed with being evil again. I don't like it. I don't like it at all. Her quick turnaround  from "I'm trying so hard to be good" to "Whelp, Mom's back, better be evil again" totally kills her character for me.

Overall, I thought this episode was quite interesting, if mostly filler. Can't wait for next week. My theory: Neil is totally Balefire. Gotta be.

Housekeeping

Sorry if the reviews were disjointed, I'm currently listening to Bronyville while typing. NEVER AGAIN. Bad plan. Makes my brain work harder than it should.

Tomorrow... I have no idea, again. Oh! You should totally head over to Gaiaonline.com right now! They're having their Tenth Anniversary/Valentine's Day Event. It's super fun. There are lots of fun things to do, including a peek at how far the site has come.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment