Thursday, January 31, 2013

Red Dwarf Vampire Diaries

Wednesday is just one of those days where I get extremely distracted... But hey, I watched The Vampire Diaries tonight. ((SMILE)) I also have a review for you, but it's not for either of yesterday's shows. It's a spoiler-free review for Red Dwarf. But to start off with, a SPOILER-FILLED initial reactions section for tonight's TVD.

The Vampire Diaries - "A View to Kill" - Initial Reactions

  • Yeah, really, Klaus.
  • Good question.
  • That's a super annoying color.
  • Can I just say how annoyed I am with that "kill the sire, kill the line" thing.
  • Mystic Falls is turning into Sunnydale.
  • Go Bonnie.
  • Okay, but bad.
  • "Villian bonding time"... nice.
  • Oh, just answer it!
  • And now we have to explain the plan to everyone.
  • Rebekah's not that bad!
  • That's a good plan.
  • Why are we surprised by that?
  • Lies.
  • Oh gah! Klaus gets to have fun being a jerk.
  • Something you won't ever understand because you're a psychotic ass.
  • FINALLY!!!! Call him out on his bullshit.
  • And Cole gets suckered into Elena's... Elena-ness.
  • Lol, Mary Sue Vampires.
  • Good reasoning.
  • Why is she back?
  • Well that was... uninteresting.
  • Elena is being annoying noble.
  • Lol, horror movies.
  • I have seen two of those three movies.
  • That is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
  • Jeremy's too on edge.
  • Shane has hypnotized you, child!
  • What was that?
  • Lol. Also Angel's trademarks.
  • Seriously, didn't we just have this talk about your BS, Klaus?
  • He's been in a cell for a while! He doesn't know anything!
  • Of course. Vervain in the water.
  • I totally knew she had it on her.
  • That's not going to stop a vampire, Elena. Duh.
  • Kol looks a lot like Jeremy.
  • Well crap.
  • Sliding around on the floor is fun.
  • And she can't hear him? She's closer!
  • Oh it's a Koala?
  • Ouch.
  • Nice.
  • Bye bye Kol.
  • Dun Dun DUN!
  • Yeah, because your terms are all that matters, asshat.
  • Imprisoning spell? Nice.
  • She does not believe you.
  • Good question.
  • Drama, drama, drama.
  • And there that goes.

Red Dwarf - Series 1-9 - Review

I cannot express just how much I love this series. Yes, it can be incredibly immature. Yes, the sets do get somewhat stale. Yes, it was made in the '80s and '90s. Yes, it is a hilarious show. It's also quite British, which is a good thing in my book.

I'm not usually into comedy shows or more hardcore Sci-fi. Red Dwarf skillfully mixes those two things together and creates this... masterpiece of crazy. What made Red Dwarf for me was, like other things, the characters. Each character is developed well. It's possibly to completely understand where each character is coming from. It's also pretty great to see how they grow throughout the run of the show.

Red Dwarf also has amazing continuity. They set up their universe in a particular way and keep up with it through the entire run of the show. On the odd times they mess up or change the way things work, it's well-explained.

I think if you're a somewhat casual TV viewer and like your drama mixed with comedy, like me, you'll really love Red Dwarf. I will say, though, that the first series is a bit hit and miss. But then, a lot of first series/seasons of anything are. I also really found myself missing the laugh track in the ninth series. Otherwise, though, Red Dwarf is stellar.

And here's the part where I tell you it's available on Netflix. The 10th series isn't up, but the first 9 are. Oh, and when I say "series" as it pertains to this show, it's because Red Dwarf is British and they use "series" rather than "season."

Housekeeping

I will probably watch Arrow and Supernatural tomorrow, but I'm not making any promises.

Love ya, Jessie.

No comments:

Post a Comment