Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Lost Girl

Okay so... I've managed to watch all of the first two seasons of Lost Girl in less than a month. Yes, I know, I have no life. However, this means that I'm fully qualified to give you a review of these first two seasons. As per usual, there will be SPOILERS, especially since I'm talking about two seasons here. If that's not okay with you... just go watch it and then come back.

Lost Girl - Seasons 1 and 2 - Review

For those who don't know, Lost Girl is a supernatural-based series about a succubus and her super-strange life. The succubus is Bo, damaged by her unexplained powers and life as a runaway. She meets up and comes to live with human Kenzi. The girls start a PI thing together in order to make money. Which is... almost predictable. Isn't it always the main character coming into a convenient new job or starting their own PI thing? Of course, with the PI thing comes a contact with the police. In this case, we actually got two: Dyson and Hale. Werewolf and Siren respectively. And of course everyone needs a place to meet up and so we get The Dal Riata and its barkeeper, Trick. Other side characters include the Ash, leader of the Light Fae; Lauren, human doctor owned by the Ash; Ciara, Dyson's love interest in the second season; Nadia, Lauren's girlfriend; Lachlan, the second Ash; Evony/The Morrigan, leader of the Dark Fae; Ryan, a Dark Fae Loki; and finally Vex, super-powerful Dark Fae mesmer.

I'm really big into character, hence the listing, so if a show can't make me relate to the characters, I'm out. As you might have guessed, though, I really love Lost Girl and therefore must have been hooked by the characters. I think my favorite character of the bunch is Kenzi. She's the point of view character for the audience and really kind of insane. Episodes without Kenzi in them are few and far between, which is good because she's also the comic relief. And believe me, this show needs the comic relief.

A good chunk of first season was "Monster of the Week" with the main point of the season being learning about the characters and the Fae community. Bo and Kenzi come into that world cold, having no idea what's what and how stuff works. They're constantly just as amazed by the "creatures" they meet as we, the viewer, should be. That said, the "Monster of the Week" schtick had me aching for an overall story... which we got toward the end of the season. There was also a lot of "Who's Bo gonna be with this week?" going on... which I found annoying. The girl needed to pick Dyson or Lauren or at least be consistent with who she's attracted to. Gah!

The second season had an actual "Big Bad" in the Garuda... who I thought looked more dragon-like than eagle-like despite the constant references to chicken. Bo had less sleeping around to do, which was good, and more ass kicking to get it, also good. She and Ryan teamed up and were awesome for the amount of time they had together. Then, we got Bo and Lauren stuff, which I'm incredibly happy about. I just really hope she doesn't go back to flipping between Dyson and Lauren again. I'd go more into the plot except... well... it mostly focused on Lachlan being a giant douche for most of the season and then it turning out he was "testing" Bo... which was crappy. But he turned out... interesting if not completely white-hat at the end.

Lost Girl has more going for it than what I've just outlined here... which admittedly isn't much to go on. The CGI is pretty good and fairly consistent. The action is the usual "we're supernatural creatures so we have to fight hand-to-hand or with blade" kind of awesome. The world is well-fleshed out and makes sense for how the Fae are.

I really love Lost Girl and hope you'll give it a chance. As of right now, the third season is airing in the States on SyFy and the first two seasons are available on Netflix. I'm assuming they're also out on DVD by now so... yeah. Go watch it, it's cool.

Housekeeping

Before anyone asks, I have no idea whether or not I'm going to catch up with Lost Girl for this season. I haven't decided yet. I also just started watching Red Dwarf again so... yeah... my time's being pretty well-filled with what I've got already.

Tomorrow, I will hopefully be able to watch Arrow and Supernatural and will hopefully have up some Initial Reactions for those. Again, not making any promises. What happened last time had definitely made me promise-shy.

Love ya, Jessie love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

2 comments: