Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Burned After School Special

Hey look, it's another mixed-up title. That must mean we're in for some reviews. If you have not seen this week's episodes of Arrow and The Vampire Diaries, there will be SPOILERS in the reviews. If you're skipping the reviews, be sure to check out the Housekeeping section below them. If you're reading the reviews, enjoy.

Arrow - "Burned" - Review

First and foremost, I enjoyed this episode. Olly gets to experience the post-traumatic stress from his beating by "the other archer." On that topic, it was great seeing Diggle grill him for something other than not caring. It was also great seeing just how much Olly's family means to him.

I'm not sure whether or not Mrs. Queen's reaction to Walter's "disappearance" was what should have been expected, at least from a viewer standpoint. She knows who has him and why he's been disappeared and yet she acts like he's died. That just didn't sit well with me. However, I did like that Thea was the one to break her out of her sulking. I thought that was done very well. It makes sense that Thea would lash out like she did. After all, she'd just gotten her mother to actually act like her mother again.

As for Firefly, I wasn't impressed by him at all. This is one of the villains I'm not very familiar with so I can't say anything about how he is in the comics. I did think he was a good villain to juxtapose Olly with for this episode. At the same time, though, he seemed very bland and seemed to go down too easy... especially considering he was vengeful enough to kill the other members of his unit.

Laurel in this episode was true to form. I like that she's taking more of an interest in corresponding with "The Guy In The Hood" than she should be. She's spunky and willing to go out on a limb to get some justice done. That's a very good thing, especially considering her comic book counterpart.

Overall, "Burned" was a fantastically solid episode. Can't wait for next week.

The Vampire Diaries - "After School Special" - Review

This episode saw the return of Miss Rebekah Mikaelson in an incredibly wonderful fashion. I'm glad she decided just to cut to the heart of the issues instead of beating around the bush like everyone else. I liked her revenge on Stefan both because it dealt with the whole love triangle thing and was more cerebral than most other revenge plots in this show. I also really liked that April was just okay with everything because I don't think I could have dealt with more "I need time to think about this" nonsense.

I enjoyed how Mrs. Lockwood's death was dealt with, though I think I missed something somewhere. I have no idea what happened in between Elena and Stefan stopping Tyler from killing them and Caroline finding a human-form Tyler in the gym. Caroline looked like she had blood on her arms... but apparently she was just running around... or something. I dunno, that was weird.

I cackled madly when I realized Damon had been left to babysit the boys. That was just too funny. They seriously did need babysitting, though. Like, Jeremy, how long have to been aware of vampires and their inability to come inside your house without an invite? If there's a person just standing in the doorway when they otherwise wouldn't be, don't invite them in. How stupid can you get? And before you jump on me about it, Matt did the same thing... though his didn't take cuz he doesn't own the house. But still! I wanted to beat some sense into them.

I'm also still really annoyed by Klaus. What's even the point of him anymore? All he does is show up, swagger around a bit, piss people off, and be a stubborn jerk. Seriously? What the hell? Another person I'm still annoyed at: Shane. How much lying to Bonnie are you doing? She can tell it's Black Magic. Stop trying to convince her it's not. Gah!

Anyway... can't wait for next week. Should be interesting. Hopefully we'll get to see Jeremy take out that bar of vamps instead of just the aftermath. I also wanna see Elena's reaction to that, just to see if she's changed any in the last... however long it's been.

Housekeeping

As regular readers of my blog may have noticed, it's Sunday, Once Upon a Time is on tonight, and I'm posting too early for this to be a Once Upon a Time thing. This is very obviously true. However, I am still planning to do my Initial Reactions post tonight. I'm not planning on having that post be any more than just the initial reactions so... just fyi, I guess.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment