Friday, January 25, 2013

Trust But LARP

Bad, bad, bad, bad title. But hey, I have fun with the mix-ups.

So anyway... yesterday, I spent a large chunk of my time babysitting my month-old nephew. By the time my parents were home to watch him instead, I was soooooo tired. So instead of watching The Vampire Diaries, I took the recycles out to the curb and then vegged on my bed for the rest of the night. So there you go, the universe got in the way of me reviewing stuff and watching stuff. Thanks, universe.

Today, however, I reviewed both Arrow and Supernatural and watched The Vampire Diaries. That means if you haven't seen this week's episodes of Arrow or Supernatural, you should go away and come back later. There will be SPOILERS.

Arrow - "Trust But Verify" - Review

Fun. That's the summation of this episode. It was just a lot of fun.

I really enjoyed seeing Diggle actually go up against Olly. I enjoyed Ben Browder getting to play a bad guy. I enjoyed Thea sneaking around by herself based on a hunch. I liked how creepy John Barrowman came off. I enjoyed flashback Olly's decisions, even if they did lead to his capture.

Speaking of which, I really, really liked how that was pulled off. Edward Fyer's essentially allowing Olly to get away with his ruse until it suits him to reveal he knows it's a ruse was fantastic. Not sure how Yao Fei being in league with Fyers is going to work out, but it's interesting.

Thea's sneaking around and subsequent conclusions about what she saw was just so Thea. I'm not sure, though, how little touches by Mr. Merlyn to Mrs. Queen immediately constitutes an affair, but I can sort of see how that worked in Thea's mind. I do find it interesting that Mr. Merlyn obviously had something to do with the death of Olly and Thea's dad, especially with the information that he and Mrs. Queen were sneaking around before the boat sank.

I thought Mr. Merlyn's creep factor was really upped in this episode, which is good seeing as he's posed to essentially be the "Big Bad." I enjoyed seeing that he's not just creepy with Mrs. Queen. His treatment of Tommy and his wife's death made me shudder. I think Tommy was right to call his dad out on his bullshit. I also thought Laurel was pretty awesome standing up for Tommy against his dad, too.

Okay, now for my brief discussion about the Blackhawks. They were underdeveloped and not entirely relatable despite Diggle being involved with them. I think their taking of a hostage was stupid... like, the execution of taking the hostage. If you're taking a hostage, don't bring them along in the car with you. Yes, I understand they were short-staffed or whatever, but there's gotta be a closet somewhere you could lock her in instead! The entire "bring the hostage along" was soooo a setup for her running and Diggle getting Gaynor alone. It was obvious and annoying.

But anyway... I liked the rest of the episode. It was quite fun to see the family dynamic and Olly actually working on stuff. I really hope they do something interesting with Thea being in jail cuz if she's just mysteriously out next episode I'm gonna be disappointed.

Supernatural - "LARP and the Real Girl" - Review

Yay, a back to crazy business episode! This was precisely what I wanted. A Monster of the Week episode. And yes, I know I rag a bit on some other shows for their Monster of the Week stuff, but Supernatural can actually pull it off every week. Yes, the over-arcing story is important, but these are the episodes I really like.

And speaking of things I really like: Felicia Day was in this episode! I really loved the character of Charlie last time she showed up and I'm really happy with how they had her this time. Also, another venture in the world of LARPing was interesting.

I think my favorite parts of this episode were when it was brought up that Sam and Dean are essentially LARPing as FBI Agents. Funny that it's the actual LARPers who point it out, too. "Respectable Citizens" can't tell the difference but you starts questioning geeks and they call you out. Oh, and also Dean being Charlie's handmaiden. I had to pause my video I was laughing so hard at that.

I think saying much else about the episode would be getting into serious spoiler territory... which I'm trying to cut back on... but I will say that the end scene had me in stitches. Dean is just too funny.

Housekeeping

Tomorrow, universe willing, I'll have a review for this week's The Vampire Diaries up. Have I ever mentioned how awkward that title is sometimes? I'm off to... do something, not sure what yet.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment