Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Magical Reviews

I'm starting to think my blogging schedule is never going to get back to normal... which means you get the SPOILER-IFIC reviews for this week's Once Upon a Time and 666 Park Avenue on Wednesday instead of closer to the day of airing. On the one hand, I guess this reflects the way we watch TV these days. On the other hand, it annoys me a little. But having a few days to think about the episodes and review them at my leisure makes for better reviews... that's what I'm hoping anyway...


Once Upon a Time - "We Are Both" - Review

     So, we got some more back-story on Regina this episode. I quite liked that. It's not the sort of beginning to Regina's fall into darkness I thought it was going to be, but I liked it. I thought, until the end of the episode at least, that Cora had become the Red Queen due to being pushed through the looking glass. I can't wait to see what she ends up doing with Snow and Emma. Can't wait to see what else happens with Snow and Emma. But anyway, back to Regina. I find it interesting that she thought about killing Snow BEFORE the magic corrupted her and that she decided to stay and collect Power. Her misery is not just Snow's fault, it's hers.
     I think Charming and Henry's relationship is going to be interesting. It's already interesting that Henry's latched onto him as his grandfather so easily. I'm glad Henry's back to just not liking Regina. However, he's still being annoying, cocky, and ridiculous. The way they set up Charming teaching Henry to use a sword in the preview for next week was cute. Not sure what that means for Charming's "Heroic quest," but it was cute. I also find it interesting that Charming rejects the David side of himself. Just point-blank dismisses that. Nope, don't wanna be that person so I'm just gonna ignore it... mostly.
     I do still want to know why Regina doesn't remember who Jefferson is. She was working so closely with him in both Fairytale Land and Storybrooke and she just... forgets. I like that he'd ended up in an over-turned car when Charming found him and I'm glad to see him back, even if he does run away almost immediately.
     I would also like to know where the hell the man-puppet that was Pinocchio/August went. There was a random shot of him either this episode or the last one and then he just disappears. Geppetto is looking for him and Pinocchio couldn't just get up and walk away in his current state...
     Okay, now for the non-discussion-y part of the review known as: stuff I liked. Ruby/Red and her role in the episode. Gone is the girl who dressed like a hooker and was pout-y at her grandmother. Here she's confident and in charge. I like Granny with her crossbow and how that was addressed by a slightly annoyed Red. Regina remembering her past and letting Henry go with Charming. Regina's expanded relationship with Rumple. Still don't know exactly what's going on there but I can't wait to find out.
     Stuff I didn't like: Dr. Whale. I know he's going to be explained sometime this season, but for now he's just randomly popping up, quipping, and getting dismissed. I did not like Cora at all. She seemed creepier this time around, somehow. And you know when Snow wakes up that she's going to be recognized... it's just not a good situation. I didn't like how Mulan just throws Emma and Snow in "The Pit" without even asking for an explanation. "Nope, you apparently caused this mess, you get to be prisoners." Seriously? Why does no one ever ask for an explanation first?
     Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. It caught me directly after each super annoying commercial and reeled me back in. Which is more than I can say for other shows... But anyway... "We Are Both" was a really solid episode that expanded the universe, had good character development, and is making me want more Once Upon a Time.

666 Park Avenue - "Murmurations" - Review

     I'm just gonna come out and say it: I didn't like this episode. I felt no connection with anyone but Jane and she wasn't really even doing much other than having weird dreams. I felt to sympathy for Danielle and although I'm slightly curious as to what exactly is going on with her, I'm not sure I really care at this point. Gavin was creepier than usual, but at least he didn't have all that back and forth from last week. His wife was really just window dressing in this episode so not much to say there. I do want to know why Henry is so special. He's going to be a hero, apparently, but how and why are still a mystery. He seems incredibly boring.
     I'm extremely annoyed with Brian. I know he's a guy and is lusting after Alexis, but seriously? You know the girl is trouble and you keep looking at her, knowing she's watching you and getting completely the wrong idea... or possibly the right one... But Brian initially seemed like a nice guy. Nice guys don't cheat on their wives while they're in the hospital. And speaking of Louise, I don't like her. At all. All she seems to care about are the bills. It's kind of scary how much she cares about the bills...
     And then there are the birds and the exterminator. Uhm... what? Like seriously, what? I really don't understand what's going on with that or why it makes sense to keep the birds there...
     Anyway, this episode really didn't tick any boxes with me. I think if I don't like the next episode I'm going to stop watching.

Housekeeping

Okay so... I'm not promising anything, but I should have a Grimm review for you soon... probably tomorrow... and a Supernatural season 7 review. Also, if you haven't checked out my DeviantArt at all, or lately, I've added a few more OC Pony-related pieces. I've also acquired a Trixie Lulamoon and customized her hair to be close to show-accurate, which you can see in my Facebook pony gallery.

Don't hesitate to leave me a comment or follow me on Twitter.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment