Friday, October 12, 2012

Arrow Pilot Review

Yeah so... random happenings known as "Baby Shopping" and "Wing Stop" took precedence over watching Grimm tonight. I do, however, have a review of the Pilot of CW's new Smallville-like show for Green Arrow... but saying that isn't exactly... right. But I'll get into that in a bit. If you didn't see the Arrow this Wednesday, save this post for later if you don't want to be spoiled. SPOILERS start now.

Arrow - "Pilot" - Review
I had the pleasure of watching Arrow without commercials thanks to my ad-blocker, and I think it helped. Arrow is quite the intense origin story. Now, for those who don't know, Arrow is an origin story thing for the DC Comics superhero: Green Arrow. I said in the post intro that Arrow is Smallville-like, and it is in that they are both origin stories for DC superheroes. However, all similarities stop there.

Arrow follows Oliver Queen, a former playboy, after he's been ship-wrecked on a "deserted island." I'm really not sure at this point if the island was actually deserted due to the way Oliver "Olly" has apparently learned to fight there. There's no way you learn to fight that well against humans if you've only been fighting animals for four years. Also, he's got this bow that looks too sophisticated to have been made by hand, by Olly, on a deserted island, especially as he's made out to be a two-timing, drug and drink-addled, spoiled playboy.

I enjoyed how a voice-over by Olly started and ended the show, but I'm not so sure about it in the course of the episode. It jarred and took me out of the story when it started. Also, I'm a little surprised Dinah "Laurel" Lance isn't a blond chick. Not that I mind the actress who plays her just... comic purist issue randomly popping out. I'm over it, especially as you don't find out she's supposed to be Dinah Lance until the end of the episode...

The villians of the piece were a little interesting. They're kind of one-note and obviously meant to be that way. The fact is underlined by Olly crossing out the first guy's name in his little book. I find it interesting that his mom was in on the entire kidnapping thing. What's her role in this, do ya think?

Last bit: Olly's bat-cave. It really reminds me of the bat-cave and the setup the guy in The Cape had a while back... And don't his arrows have his fingerprints all over them? I don't remember seeing him wearing gloves while making them.

I quite enjoyed Arrow and I'll definitely be adding it to my list of stuff to watch this season.

Housekeeping

The Grimm Initial Reactions and review will most likely be pairing up with Once Upon a Time and 666 Park Avenue... again. Or else I'll be getting to that on Monday and it'll be paired up with Alphas.

Love ya, Jessie.

No comments:

Post a Comment