Sunday, October 9, 2011

Hiding In Plain Sight

I pretty much spent my day laying on a couch watching Stargate SG-1. However, last night I did get some fanfiction reading in. So here's what I thought about this particular piece of fanfiction.

Hiding In Plain Sight - Yumekui7
     This story was a Harry Potter fic based around Harry and Draco Malfoy post-war and disregarding the epilogue of Deathly Hallows. There are about eleven chapters and upon reading the first one, I thought this story had a lot of potential -- which it failed to live up to, quite honestly. The story involves Harry using a disguise potion in order to raise his godson, Teddy Lupin. This disquise potion allows him to appear as a female, although he can change back and forth at will upon reciting a spell. Draco happens to run into Harry, not know it's him, and decides "Oh, I like this person and I'm going to try for some kind of relationship." Sounds interesting, right? It would have been and could have been, however, the story whipped by much too fast for the subject matter. Harry spends a good portion of the story in his female disguise, which Draco does not know about. Narcissa and Lucius Malfoy are involved and know about Harry's disguise, but do not reveal it to their son until late in the story. The Draco of this particular story universe does not like being lied to, but doesn't have much of a reaction upon finding out that "Lily Black" was actually Harry Potter.
     On the subject of character, I think Harry and Luna were actually the only characters who were in character and stayed that way. Ginny Weasley, for the scant time she was in the story, seemed a bit too... back-and-forth, for lack of actual terms. Draco appaeared to be in character for the first chapter, but that died quickly. Narcissa and Lucius, on the other hand, were not in character at all. They were much too cheerful, especially after having served Lord Voldemort and been in Azkaban. Teddy... well, I suppose since we never actually see any of Teddy's characterization under JK Rowling, we don't know how he is and so I suppose he was in character... but yeah.
     I really thought I was going to be into this story and I really tried to be, but it was just too... fluffy and quick to keep all my attention. I guess I prefer some angst to my Drarry, and there was none.

Love ya, Jessie. character00136 Free Emoticons   Characters

No comments:

Post a Comment