Saturday, April 27, 2013

Volcanalis - Review

SPOILER WARNING

If you have not seen last night's episode of Grimm, please leave the blog and come back later. The following review contains episode spoilers.


Grimm - "Volcanalis" - Review

Grimm is back! It's also moving to Tuesdays. Thanks, NBC. And yes, I'm being sarcastic about that. I dislike when networks change around the schedules, especially mid-season. It confuses people. On the other hand, I might end up getting to do Initial Reactions for Grimm again, seeing as I shouldn't be babysitting while it's on.

Anyway, episode review. On it.

I really enjoyed this episode. I was absolutely giddy while watching it. "Volcanalis" was so full of wonderful tidbits, character development, and world building. Best of all, it didn't give me episode whiplash, like other shows I could mention.

I thought getting Hank out of the episode and on vacation was a good choice, but also an amusing way to slightly de-clutter the cast. I thought the way Bud and Monroe were trying to cheer Nick up was cute. The pair of them together was amusing, as was their choice of watching soccer.

The scenes where Adalind goes to the gypsys were... weird. I think it's sad how she's going to sell her child in order to get her powers back. I also thought it was interesting that Adalind initially let her gypsy friend do the negotiating... if only for a few moments.

I found the way Juliette has to get her memory back intriguing. It allowed for some more backstory on her and Nick's relationship as well as discovering things other people don't really want her to know. The entire unpacking scene had me laughing and repeating "He has an Elvis-head lamp" over and over. I think Juliette's tears at Nick's proposal is a very, very good sign.

The best parts of the episode were the Volcanalis bits. I thought the Volcanalis itself was kind of interesting, though it reminded me a lot of the Beast from Angel. I like how another Volcanalis was responsible for Vesuvius erupting. I liked how Nick and Monroe teamed up with Renard to fight the Volcanalis. The scene while they were getting ready to blast it with liquid nitrogen was super amusing. I also had a thing last night where I was deliriously happy that "they have someone who can read Latin." I don't know why, but that amused me to no end.

I can't wait to see what happens on Tuesday. Looks like Juliette's finally going to re-find-out about Wesen and Grimms. And no, that's not a spoiler, it was in the trailer for next week.

Housekeeping

Due to certain circumstances in timing of babysitting, the news, and tonight's episode of Doctor Who, I may or may not be posting Secondary Reactions for that at some point tonight. Never fear, though, I will have a review for "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS" up tomorrow. A review for "Hide" may or may not be forthcoming, depending on my mood.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment