Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Pinkie Pie Review

So... there's nothing but Doctor Who on this week. Like, everything is on a break/showing reruns. I've expressed my annoyance with this ridiculousness in the past so I'm not going to dwell on it now. What I am going to do is a departure from my usual TV/Movie/Book/Fanfiction reviews. This will be my first toy review; possibly, my only toy review.

Preliminary Warning

This post is image-heavy.

Please excuse any funky lighting or blur on the photos. I took them in my room, which is lit by two lamps... which is horrible lighting for taking pictures. I have fans going, so things blew around a very small bit. I am also not a tripod nor do I have one so... slightly shaky person + camera = blur. I picked the pics with the least amount of blur, but I'm not perfect.

Pinkie Pie Review


This past weekend, I went up to Dallas to a) hang out with my littlest sister and b) get a Build-A-Bear Pinkie Pie. Build-A-Bear just recently came out with an officially licensed Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. They are gorgeous. They are cheaper than getting a custom plush. They are perfect in almost every way. I got a Pinkie Pie because... well... I'm not overly fond of Dashie and they have yet to come out with a Rarity or Luna. (Sad Brony Is Sad)

I'm gonna go ahead and get the flaws out of the way so I can gush about the greatness.
  1. Rainbow Dash's wings are made of that funky, crinkly, iridescent fabric. (Actually, I don't know if the fabric is crinkly, I didn't touch it. It looks crinkly.) Do Not Want. The wings should be the same fabric as the rest of the body. They're not magical or anything. Assuming Hasbro decides to do the rest of the Main Six (and possible other ponies), the unicorn horns will probably also be made of that fabric. But I'm just speculating.
  2. The Cutie Marks are printed on only one side. This is a constant bug-bear of mine with all My Little Pony toys. Come on Hasbro, the Cutie Marks are on both sides in the show, why aren't they that way on the toys?!
  3. The hair is the same brush-able stuff from the plastic toys. It's kind of crap on plushies due to how it feels. Also, Build-A-Bear plushies are not, strictly speaking, washable. I can't style the hair the way I would normally because I don't want to get the plushie wet.
Now that that's out of the way... Here's my Pinkie Pie:
Isn't she just adorable?! I originally did her hair like this because I was carting her down from Dallas, but I'm gonna leave it like that so it doesn't become the tangled mess it was when I got her. She's super-soft and totally huggable. And yes, she's standing by herself. Build-A-Bear lets you pick the squeezable-ness of your plush so you can make them all floppy if you want. Oh, she also didn't come with any hair-things. The flowers (to-be-pictured-later) come with her bridesmaid dress and the bows are pretty much free at Build-A-Bear.
Here's the detail of her Cutie Mark and Eyes. They're partially embroidered and partially appliqued. I'm really impressed with them. A lot of high-end custom plushes will have both details embroidered.



The Bridesmaid Dress

This is my Pinkie Pie in her bridesmaid dress. When I saw the dresses on the Build-A-Bear website, I thought the dresses were supposed to be from the Gala... which was obviously wrong. The set comes with the dress, necklace, and flower-thingy. I got her the shoes separately cuz I thought they matched well and looked cute.
The outfit details are another area of these that really impressed me. The attention to detail is just phenomenal. I've only got two little niggles: The dress should have covered the torso as well as the flanks and the flower-thingy really should have been a headband. But really, those niggles are seriously minor. I mean, just look at the detail on the necklace!

Overall, I'm just very, very impressed with the Build-A-Bear ponies. They're much better than the last few batches of plushes, in my opinion. If you don't believe me, have a look:

Build-A-Bear Staff

I just wanted to say, the staff at the Build-A-Bear in the Firewheel Mall were awesome. The day my sisters and I went in, the place was really busy, but not overly packed. We had a couple conversations with the ladies working that day about ponies and Doctor Who (because I was wearing my Doctor Whooves T-shirt). They were really nice, happy, and helpful. I have never had a better Build-A-Bear experience. Thanks ladies!

Housekeeping

Tomorrow, I'm partially planning on doing a little review thing of the new chapters of Pottermore that were released today. I've already been through them and... well... I'll go ahead and just leave that till tomorrow.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

PS: The last plush pic is property of Hasbro. I didn't have one on hand so I kinda stole that. ashamed0004 Free Emoticons   Shame

    No comments:

    Post a Comment