Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pac-Man Home Invasion Fever

SPOILER WARNING

If you have not seen last night's episodes of Arrow or Supernatural, please leave the blog and return after you've watched them. I'm terrible at reviewing things without spoiling them.

Arrow - "Home Invasion" - Review

This episode had a lot of interesting elements to it. They meshed very well and were pulled off quite nicely without making the episode seem cluttered. If only The Vampire Diaries could pull this off more often.

In the beginning of the episode, I thought Tommy came off as a jerk. Olly has every right to randomly show up at Laurel's place of work; they are still friends, after all. However, my feelings about Tommy were completely reversed at the end of the episode. His self-sacrifice in giving up Laurel was heart-wrenching, especially being an audience member. We know how much he cares for Laurel and seeing him breaking both their hearts was just... I cried. No joke. That said, I'm glad the writers decided not to drag that out forever.

I thought the little bits of the backstory were slightly fun. The Olly and Shado kissing bit was so telegraphed it hurt. I have no problem with them having a bit of a fling, but Slade's right in reminding them how much time they don't have. The end of the flashbacks this episode was seriously lacking tension. We know Olly doesn't get off the island for a long time so him getting captured and Yao-Fei telling him that his time on the island was short lacked punch. I find myself wishing they either did specific flashback episodes or an entire season just for telling the flashback story.

Those of you who actually read my Initial Reactions might have noticed I mentioned J. August Richards a couple of times. He played the assassin throughout the episode. I know him primarily from Angel, where he played Charles Gunn. I thought Richards was wonderfully creepy. The perfect amount of politeness, crazy, and menacing all rolled into one package. I'm kind of sad his character's been killed off, actually. I would have liked to see that crazy developed a bit more.

I think Roy and Thea looking for "The Hood" is gonna be interesting. It'll be even more interesting if Roy finds out and Thea doesn't, which I think is the most probable outcome. Though it would be nice if Thea were brought into the loop... a bit. I think she's more fun as a side-character than a main one.

That's what I thought of "Home Invasion." Let me know what you think in the comments.

Supernatural - "Pac-Man Fever" - Review

I will be the first to say that I wasn't expecting Charlie back. It was a pleasant surprise and I'm glad she's sort of becoming part of "the gang" as it were. I also thought getting more on her backstory was interesting. I liked that the writers were able to parallel Charlie's mom and Sam. I also thought it was fun just having Charlie around. She makes everything seem less dire than the boys usually make it seem.

I thought the sub-species of Djinn were somewhat interesting, though the concept of a sub-species at all caught my attention much more. I adore the mythology of Supernatural so much and this was just icing on the mythologic cake.

My favorite part of the episode was when Sam, Dean, and Charlie were sitting around the table researching the Djinn. Sam and Charlie wanting each other's "tech" (for lack of better terms) was amusing. "I hate that thing. I want it." I think Charlie would make an awesome "Woman of Letters" *cough* Watcher *cough.*

Uhmm... not much else to say about this episode... except that Sam looked really sick throughout the entire thing, which was awesome from a production standpoint. Let me know what you thought of the episode in the comments.

Housekeeping

You might have noticed a lack of Initial Reactions for tonight's The Vampire Diaries episode. That will be happening and it will be getting it's own post. I thought putting these reviews in their own separate post would be best considering my splitting headache at the moment.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment