Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lacey Pan

Spoiler Warning

If you have not seen the most recent episode of Once Upon a Time or Disney's Peter Pan, please leave the blog and come back later. The following review contains spoilers.

Once Upon a Time - "Lacey" - Review

I really enjoyed this episode. Like, really, really enjoyed it. There wasn't a moment wasted.

First, the Enchanted Forest flashbacks were quite fun. They gave more substance, in my opinion, to the Belle/Rumple relationship. I thought it was interesting how Belle stood up to Rumple pretty much from the beginning of her servitude. I thought it was nice how she essentially cajoled him into being good, despite her not knowing about his past. I found it a little weird that Belle spent the entire episode in that gold dress. I liked the reveal of the library. It was rather nice how it wasn't a direct rip-off of the Beauty and the Beast movie.

I thought the limited role of Robin Hood was nice. I don't think it would have been a good idea to make him a big character. We've already got quite a lot of those. I thought the Sheriff of Notingham was properly weasley. He just seemed super pathetic.

I thought Regina was back on form here. She was wonderfully manipulative and just plain evil. I also quite liked her reaction to finding out that Neil was Henry's father. I thought the way she found out about the magic bean crop was cool. I'm wondering what she's going to do now that she knows about it.

I thought Rumple attempting to be a sweet old guy to Lacey was cute. He was so awkward, especially talking David into giving him dating advice. As for the revelation at the end, Lacey is apparently a piece of work. I find it interesting that she's the complete opposite of Belle. Everyone else seemed to be closer in personality to their Enchanted Forest selves.

Peter Pan - Review

Thanks to my babysitting, I re-watched the Disney version of Peter Pan. I enjoyed it just as much this time as I have in the past, though this time with some deep-ish thoughts about it.

First off, I noticed that after Wendy gets to Neverland, she has trouble flying. She can still do it, but she has a lot of trouble taking off and even opts not to fly at the Mermaid Lagoon. I'm left wondering why exactly that is. I think it might have to do with her age, more than anything else. Despite that she wants to continue being a child, she has some rather serious and practical thoughts going on in that pretty head. And actually, after they arrive in the Indian Encampment, she doesn't fly at all by herself.

I thought Peter Pan was an interesting dichotomy of fun-loving child and capable fighter. He's frighteningly immature at times, such as the Mermaid Lagoon part, almost allowing the mermaids to drown Wendy. He only stops that when he sees Wendy about to start throwing things at the mermaids. He also gets ridiculously angry at both Tink and Wendy when they do something he doesn't quite like. I'm not sure exactly where his fighting skills come from, but he holds his own against Captain Hook more than once. It's actually kind of scary, those fighting skills.

Captain Hook is one of my favorite villains. He's unabashedly evil, even if he is quite cowardly in some respects. I thought it was interesting that he risked the loyalty of his crew in order to hunt down Peter Pan. This is remarked upon almost out of hand by one of the crew members when they talk to Smee at the beginning. He's incredibly blood-thirsty, too. He has no problem essentially torturing/killing Tiger Lilly in order to get his information. I do have to point out, though, having also watched a bunch of Jake and the Neverland Pirates yesterday, that Hook's been turned into a giant parody of himself in the series. He's portrayed as stupid and narcissistic. I didn't really realize there was a difference, though, until I watched Peter Pan.

Also, this will come as no surprise to anyone, but Tinkerbell was a giant bitch for most of the movie. She was ridiculously jealous of Wendy. I'm not gonna read anymore into it, though, mainly because I don't want my brain going into that particular gutter.

So, those are my big thoughts on the Peter Pan movie. In the future, I'll probably watch Peter Pan without these thoughts in mind, mainly because it's just a lot of fun. Like, the message is there, but it can pretty much be ignored until the end of the movie.

Obelisk War Update

The prize shop is finally open! The winner has been announced! (It's The Sway.) There was a ghostly Oracle inside the Obelisk. Yay!

Housekeeping

Sorry for not posting yesterday, I was too exhausted by the time I was actually able to use my computer.

I've started watching Fringe on Netflix. I'm really enjoying the first season so far.

Still haven't watched Grimm, mostly because I haven't had time to sit at my computer and watch it. OnDemand is not being nice to me in that regard.

Tomorrow, I may or may not get Initial Reactions out for Arrow. I'm really hoping I'll get them up, just as a personal thing.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment