Thursday, November 29, 2012

Arrow - "Muse of Fire" - Review

If you have not seen episode 7, "Muse of Fire" of Arrow and do not wish to be SPOILED, leave the blog NOW. I will be starting the review directly after this statement.

I don't really have a lot to say about the bulk of this episode. It was a tool for getting Olly and Helena together, rekindling the relationship thing going on with Olly's mom and Tommy's dad, and for getting Thea and her mother to realize that Olly's changed. That said, I liked it. The rest of my comments are about characters and actors/actresses.

One name popped into my head as soon as the female assassin took off her helmet: Helena Bertinelli. I then spend the next couple of minutes/seconds/however long it was until the reveal telling myself not to jump to conclusions. Turns out, I was right. I've always kind of been a fan of Huntress, mostly because of her connection to the Bat-family and because of the Birds of Prey series that got cancelled. I quite like Helena here, too. The actress reminds me simultaneously of Michelle Ryan and Rachel McAdams. This is a nice take on the Helena Bertinelli character and I hope she sticks around for a while. Olly needs someone other than Diggle to talk to.

Next up, Mr. John Barrowman. I love John Barrowman, as I might have said in an earlier review. However, after years of having him as Captain Jack Harkness through Doctor Who and Torchwood, seeing him play someone Jack could possibly have turned into was a little... weird. It's not that I can't separate the actor from the character, it's just that sneaky thoughts keep sliding into my head. Like I said, Mr. Merlyn could very well have been someone Jack Harkness could have turned into despite the fact that he didn't. And Gah! He's Tommy's father?! That explains how he got into the Queen's house undetected, or rather, unchallenged. That seriously threw me for a loop.

It was also nice seeing Tahmoh Penikett as a bad guy for once. He's quite believable in the role and sort of melted into it. At least I was able to separate him more from Helo and Paul Ballard than I was with Barrowman and his past character...

As for the Helena/Olly romance, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I do think Olly needs someone other than Diggle to talk to, as I said before, I'm just not sure another unstable person is the right choice.

Overall, this episode was pretty awesome, I enjoyed it. I liked the whole Helena with the cross thing and that she wore a purple dress throughout most of the episode. It was almost screaming Huntress. I liked Olly's sudden spring into action when his mother was injured. I liked Tommy and Laurel being cute together. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Housekeeping
I'm almost done with my nephew's dresser project. Got the last drawer detail painted today and uploaded a pic onto DeviantArt, if you'd like to see it.

I am planning to watch The Vampire Diaries tonight, but I'm not sure if that's gonna happen as my mother is just now cooking dinner. May of may not have a review for that up tomorrow... we'll see.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment