Monday, November 5, 2012

Frankenweenie and the Beanstalk

Sorry I didn't get around to posting yesterday. I came home from the movies and then went out to dinner. By the time I got back to my computer, I was too exhausted to write anything coherent and I'd missed last night's Once Upon a Time. But I'm back now to give you SPOILERIFIC reviews of Frankenweenie and last night's Once Upon a Time.

Frankenweenie - Review

     This movie told the story of Victor Frankenstein and how he brought his dog back to life... and the chaos resulting from this act. Frankenweenie wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be, but it was an okay watch. I could probably bear watching it again, but I wouldn't do so on my own.
     Tim Burton once again brings to life a slew of characters who are both stereotypical and relatable. The life and death and life of Victor's dog Sparky was heartwarming, but the ensuing mess was little more than entertaining. The town's reaction to the reanimation of Sparky, the new science teacher, and Sparky's second "death" were really unbelieveable. The reaction to the other children's reanimated/mutated pets was more believable, but at the same time, there wasn't really much for them to do other than scream in terror. There was also no real explanation as to why the sea monkeys, which are really shrimp, turn into how they're pictured on the package, but evil or why the cat melded with the bat and became evil incarnate.
     I found this movie enjoyable on the first watch, but falling apart the more I think about it.

Once Upon a Time - "Tallahassee" - Review

     This episode was essentially back-story. Emma's back story. I was happy to see how things panned out, but I would very much like to know where August is in the present day. We know he somehow managed to send a postcard to Neal while in his wooden state. And that's pretty much it. He disappears after that. I wanna know where he went!
     The Fairytale Land part of this episode was fun. Hook was being his charming, pirate-y self while still managing to come off a little womanizing. The giant wasn't really the most convincing, but I liked him well enough. Emma is incredibly jaded. So much so that she basically betrays Hook, which is only gonna make him mad, I think. Not really the best idea, there. Mulan came off okay, but she didn't really have much to do. I would like to know where she got the super-sword, though. Snow being motherly toward Aurora was nice.
     I find it interesting that Aurora and Henry are having the same dream, just from opposite perspectives. Red room, red curtains, fire. Interesting side-effect to the sleeping curse. I wonder if their conciousnesses essentially hopped worlds while they were cursed and that explains where they ended up in their dream. However, I'd like to know why we haven't heard of Henry having this dream before. He talks at length about everything and yet there's not a peep about this weird dream.
     Overall, I quite liked this episode. It's not my favorite of the season, but it was interesting. I like how things are panning out so far. Looks like next week is going to be awesome. An entire episode centered on Ruby/Red. I can't wait!

Housekeeping

So... the Gaiaonline Halloween Event wrapped up last week. Sadly, the vampires lost. On another note, tomorrow is Election Day here in the US. Don't forget to vote, if you haven't already. I have so... yeah. Not gonna give you some diatribe about who you should vote for, but you should definitely vote.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment