Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Stranger Returns

Oh, it's another crappy title mix up. That must mean there are some reviews to be had. Just reviews tonight, I'm afraid. I missed The Vampire Diaries due to a birthday dinner for the eldest of my little sisters.

SPOILER WARNING

If you have not seen yesterday's episodes of Arrow or Supernatural, please leave the blog now and return later. The following reviews contain spoilers.

Arrow - "The Huntress Returns" - Review

I was a really big fan of Huntress last time she showed up. I was really excited she was coming back and wasn't just a one-off thing. That said, I'm somewhat disappointed in Ms. Bertinelli this time around. She came across as much more of a villain this time. Yes, I know Huntress has never really been completely White Hat, but I didn't think she'd go for using people as leverage. In my opinion, that was going too far. I know she wants her father dead and all, but to drag Olly into it like that? Nuh uh. Do not like.

I did, however, like Huntress' outfits. The "stripper" outfit felt very comic-book-y to me, toned down though it was. I liked her little mask, though when she went from full-on Huntress to just a touch of goth-y eye shadow in the interrogation room... that was a bit odd. Apparently in Starling City they allow prisoners to pretty-up before being interrogated. I liked that she gave up Olly without giving up Olly. That was clever and amusing to watch.

Now on to Tommy and Laurel. I thought Tommy's reaction to processing Olly being "The Hood" was very realistic. I like that he came around after Helena used him against Olly. I'm sort of annoyed at Laurel for expecting Tommy to be her rock after he'd clearly hurt himself. Big arm braces usually mean "give me slack," but apparently not to Laurel. At the same time, she didn't know exactly what happened to him so... that's why I'm only sort of annoyed. I thought Laurel was wonderfully sneaky about getting her dad to see her mom. That made me smile. I also thought Detective Lance's reaction to the stuff about Sarah was spot-on.

Finally, Roy and Thea got some air-time together. Roy got to be both a jerk and a hero, which was nice. Not sure exactly why he told Thea to go ahead and get him the job and then tell her off for doing it... well, not tell her off exactly, but, ya know, he wasn't happy about it. I think their chemistry is really nice. The distracting kiss was cute.

So, that's what I thought of the episode... oh, wait... there was some flashback story stuff? It was essentially really boring? Oh, okay. Olly did something somewhat clever and Slade was happy about it and now they're blackmailing Fyers... joy. Could probably have done without that this episode, but whatever.

Let me know what you thought down in the comments, that'd be great.

Supernatural - "Goodbye Stranger" - Review

This episode was really interesting. There were lots of interesting plot developments not involving Sam and Dean. I really had fun watching this episode. Wonder what that says about me as a Supernatural fan?

Okay, so... Meg and Castiel... Megstiel, since Dean, or was that Sam?, so wonderfully put it. That... came out of nowhere for me. Yes, Castiel kissed her in a previous episode and now Meg wants to jump his bones. I get it, but... now apparently he's her "unicorn," as she puts it? Yeah... not sure I'm buying that exactly. It doesn't help that she's dead and so not coming back to develop that further.

Naomi. I'm really enjoying hating her. Amanda Tapping has just hit the bureaucratic, brainwashing angel bit out of the park. I'm wondering what exactly she's up to.

Crowley was back! I love Crowley. He's pretty darn awesome for an evil S.O.B. I thought he had some really funny lines and was properly menacing... at least at Meg. Other than that, I was just enjoying him being in the episode at all.

Castiel this episode was, well, Cas. I thought it was interesting that he'd apparently been brainwash-training to kill Dean and then couldn't. By the way, that image of all the dead Deans in the Angel Danger Room was disturbing. I also thought he argued really well with Naomi against killing Dean and bringing the Winchesters in on what he was searching for. The effect when he grabbed the Angel Tablet reminded me very much of Twilight Sparkle when she's channeling the Elements of Harmony. Yup, pony reference in a Supernatural review. Deal with it.

That reminds me, references! There were a few funny ones. The big one that stood out to me was the "Shut up, Meg" thing. It made me laugh when I realized the boys had said it a few times. For those who don't know, that's a Family Guy reference. Everyone always tells Meg to shut up. I also liked the Lord of the Rings reference at the end, though I didn't realize what that was until Sam said something. Not a giant fan of LOTR so that's probably why.

Anyway... that's what I thought of the episode. Let me know what you thought in the comments, please.

Housekeeping

Yes, I missed The Vampire Diaries tonight. I should be able to watch it tomorrow and put up a review with my Grimm initial reactions. Hopefully. No promises.

You might have noticed I changed my site-theme back to it's blue self. Yeah, since the Neopets event is essentially over, I figured it'd be nice to go back. I did find a nice starry background to go the the Pleiades theme instead of an abstract blue thing.

Also, comment, please. I'd really like to know that I'm not shouting into the void... ya know, like I don't check my site stats... character00233 Free Emoticons   Characters but really, comments would be nice.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment