Saturday, March 30, 2013

Nameless, Brave and True

Housekeeping

Oh! What's this doing here? This is supposed to be at the end... oooohhhh! I have an announcement? I see. Well, here goes:

I missed the 7PM showing of Doctor Who "The Bells of St. John."

There, I said it. However, I will be watching the 10PM showing and doing Initial Reactions. I'm so excited! jumping0047 Free Emoticons   Jumping

Meanwhile, I have a review for this week's Once Upon a Time and Grimm. So this is also serving as the SPOILER WARNING.

Once Upon a Time - "Selfless, Brave and True" - Review

All of the cards are on the table! At least, they seem to be. Now all that's left is for the Storybrooke crew to figure out that Tamara and "Greg" are up to something. The possibilities on that end are, well, just about endless.

I'm gonna make a Lost connection here, mainly because I've blown through the first four seasons on Netflix. It's not spoiler-y at all, promise. This episode of Once Upon a Time reeks of Lost storytelling methods. A new character comes in, or we need to know a lot more about an existing character, and we get an entire episode containing their back story. This happened last week, too, though I refrained from saying anything about it. We got back story this week on both Tamara and August. Quite a fun and eventful back story, too. There, that wasn't such a bad connection, was it?

I'd pegged Tamara as a "black hat" pretty much since the promo for "Selfless, Brave and True." As it stands, I'm not disappointed by her, though I want to know just exactly what her motivations are. I'm not sure I like that she and "Greg" are involved romantically. Poor Neil's going to be heartbroken, I think.

I thought the August bits were... pretty formulaic. I thought it was interesting that a) he was turning wooden before he got to Storybrooke and b) that he talked to Neil again before going to Storybrooke. I'm somewhat disappointed he was age-regressed when he was turned human again. I think a love-triangle between Emma, August, and Neil would have been interesting. Forgetting Tamara in there, of course, cuz that's just not going to end well.

Now it's time for closing comments/thoughts.
  • Still not entirely happy with Snow, though she was better this episode.
  • Regina's slowly getting back in my good graces. She was brilliant when confronting "Greg."
  • I wonder if The Dragon was actually a dragon or just a sorcerer?
  • The Blue Fairy is really fast or else precognative.
  • I can't wait till the next episode. Why all the breaks, ABC? WHY?!!

Grimm - "Nameless" - Review

Okay so, last week we got a lot of development from all over the place. This week we got a more concentrated look at some of that development. I, for one, really liked that. I thought last week's episode was too crammed full of stuff to really deal with it effectively. Again, we get stuff with Juliette, stuff with Renard, and then the case with Nick and Hank.

Juliette's stuff was intriguing. I think the Nick "ghosts" are a nice way to bring her memory back. I also really enjoyed her burgeoning relationship with Rosalee. If those two really become friends, I'll be overcome with joy. Monroe's inclusion in the "slumber party" was amusing. I think he and Nick need to get over themselves and just tell Juliette the truth.

Renard's business stuff was... interesting, from what I caught of it. Upset and screaming babies do not make the best TV-watching partners. I caught something about the Royals wanting to seize power again and make things all Imperialist again. Okay, that explains Renard wanting things to stay democratic... sort of. I'm honestly not sure what's going on there, but it was interesting until the explosion killed Renard's guy.

Now on to Nick and Hank's case. I thought it was fairly obvious they were doing a take on Rumplestiltskin. I also thought the Fuchsteufelwild looked like the Green Goblin from Marvel comics. I honestly wasn't paying much attention to those parts. It was a fairly standard plot thing-y as far as the case went. Though I was just as taken in by the police ruse as the Fuchsteufelwild was.

As I said last night, I honestly can't wait for next week's Grimm. Looks like it's gonna be a lot of Adalind-y fun.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment