Friday, November 4, 2011

500 Miles, Prologue Review

I may possibly have forgotten *cough - decided not to - cough* write an entry for yesterday. Thank you, Season Six of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer. I do enjoy being depressed watching you... but on the bright side, I did manage to re-read the Prologue of Princess Alexandria's 500 Miles... and the first batch of paragraphs of Ruins 1 (the actual first chapter), before I decided I was too restless to actually read more at that point in time. This conclusion was reached after I re-read the same paragraph three times and still couldn't get the jist of what was going on. I will try harder next time. Meanwhile... here's a review of the Prologue:

500 Miles, Prologue by Princess Alexandria
     It is very important that you go and read Not Myself before you begin this story. That's pretty much what the summary of 500 Miles states. The author's note, states that Princess Alexandria keeps Christy Taylor chained to her desk. I found this amusing for several reasons: 1) I'm not telling you until further into my review series of 500 Miles, and 2) I love Christy. I may have mentioned point 2 earlier during the Not Myself review.
     As well as reading Not Myself, you should also note before beginning this story that this version of Christy and Ms. Emma Frost are in a completely different universe than the Christy and Emma from Not Myself. I didn't actually realise this until I was a good way into the story my first time through. They do act awfully similar and so it's a bit confusing when Christy starts mentioning things that don't have anything to do with the previous story... 500 Miles is not a continuation of Not Myself.
     The Prologue is very well written, as is usual with Alexandria's stories. There is mention of Christy having named her portal-y whirlwind power, which she didn't do in Not Myself. I thought that calling it Scythe worked quite well. And that she refers to Scythe more as a living entity than an object is interesting. I mention this before anything else because, well, this chapter throws you directly into a chaotic situation after a nice, soft lead-in.
     The Prologue starts with Christy prematurely waking Emma up by thinking too loudly about how much she loves her. The scene is very cute and slightly amusing. We then cut to the intrepid pair going out to a little sea-side house for a little vacation. And that's when things get chaotic. While out for a walk, Christy and Emma get ambushed by assassins and Christy has to use Scythe to protect Emma and herself after Emma gets shot. At this point in the story, it was unclear as to why exactly Emma was the target of an assassination, but that'll be explained much later on in the story. But basically, Christy ends up getting pulled into Scythe and out of the universe she calls home.
     And there you have the premise of the story. Christy and her undying, unshakeable love for Emma Frost and her journey to get back to her Emma. It kind of reminds me of Daniel Jackson of Stargate SG-1 and his search for Sha're across a single universe... but that's something completely different so forget I typed that...

That's pretty much it from me today, I am going to be rereading 500 Miles as often as possible. Also, I'm going to the Texas Renaissance Festival this weekend, so there might be a weekend blog post about that... but don't hold me to it. As usual, links to the fanfiction and author's pages are in the header leading the review. For 500 Miles, I'll be linking to the first chapter of the section I've reviewed, to avoid any confusion...

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

PS: For those of you who aren't using the Plieades website, I've added a couple of Gaiaonline Avatars to that Journal. Links on the Link Page of the Plieades website.

No comments:

Post a Comment