Monday, November 28, 2011

500 Miles, Hellfire 1: Chapters 1-5 Review

sign0110 Free Sign Emoticon I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and didn't get trampled on Black Friday. I was on the computer all day Thursday and then did yard work Friday, so no shopping for me. On the bright side, I started back into 500 Miles and here's what I have for you:


500 Miles, Hellfire 1 by Princess Alexandria

     We're back with Demise again and she ends up inside an X-Man named Raven. Raven was, at the point in which Demise ends up taking over, infiltrating the Hellfire Club... or attempting to, at any rate. She's caught by Emma Frost (at the time, The White Queen) and Tessa (known more recently in the Marvel Universe as Sage), Sebastian Shaw's Personal Assistant.

     I got a good way into the first chapter of Hellfire, rereading-wise, and stalled. I really, really tried to reread it, really I did. However, knowing what goes on during these chapters puts a gigantic dent in the rereading process. It's very well written, it's a good idea to read it the first time through -- which I did -- and it's a very good idea to keep an open mind while doing so.

     The Hellfire Club and what goes on behind the scenes are never really looked at too closely in the comics. Alexandria makes the not-so-nice leap (hop, actually) into the BDSM realm of Hellfire back-room dealings. Seeing as it is cannon within the 616-Universe that the Hellfire Club does have some strip-club-ness goings on (see the Deadly Genesis arc/trade to see what I'm talking about), the hop to full-blown S&M parties isn't a stretch by any means.

     that said, this is the part I'm skipping. Basically, Demise and Raven get thrown into this during the Hellfire Club's Christmas parties. At some point, Selene gets a hold of Demise and Raven, and Emma Frost is able to pull Demise out of Raven's mind but is unable to protect Raven like this. Raven is raped by Selene and Selene's cronies before the X-Men finally show up to rescue Raven. (How's that for not rereading this part?) And that calls an end to chapter 5.

     Also during this part, we find out about Raven and Tessa's time at Xavier's away from the other X-Men. They're trained as spies, kept away from the X-Men, and then used as leverage against each other. That's how Tessa explains her reasons for staying at the Hellfire Club despite all the things that were going on. Xavier keeping Raven, and eventually putting her on an X-Man team, were used as blackmail to keep Tessa in line.

     All of this is burned indelibly on my mind, probably why I can remember so much detail after all this time. These first five chapters of Hellfire had me cringing this time. I had to take frequent breaks from reading even the first chapter. Again, it's because of the material and not the actual writing. Seriously, if you're reading 500 Miles for the first time, read through these chapters. Keep in mind that these chapters are NOT meant for children. And hey, if you decide you can't take it, I've given you the chapter where it stops being all... S&M-y.

     Alexandria, because I know you'll read this: sign0173 Free Sign Emoticon  I did like it the first time. ashamed0001 Free Emoticons   Shame


That's all I've got tonight. Sorry this is taking so long, but like I said in the review... well, you read it so... there you are.


Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment