Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Sky's the Limit, Sweet Grimm

SPOILER WARNING

If you have not seen this week's episodes of Warehouse 13 or Grimm, please leave the blog and come back later. My reviews, more often than not, contain spoilers.

However, if you're the least bit interested, there will be a short Altador Cup Update and Housekeeping section below the reviews.


Warehouse 13 - "The Sky's the Limit" - Review

This episode was fairly lack-luster and standard, as episodes go. The only really big thing that happened was the introduction of Dr. Abigail Cho, the new owner of the B&B. I quite liked her. She was excited, as new Warehouse people usually are, by the artifacts and what they could do. She didn't take crap from Artie, which I liked. It's about time we had someone other than Mrs. Fredric who could actually go toe to toe with Artie.

I thought Monty was kind of cute, for a doddering old magician. That his granddaughter was willing to do what she did, even if she had no idea about the consequences, says that he was every inch the man he seemed to be. I'm glad he got a small glimpse at the Warehouse, even if he did attempt to steal that light bulb.

The Claudia and Jinks storyline was seriously ancillary to the other storylines going on. It wasn't exactly the fleshed out well enough for me to really care about it. I did, however, like Claudia's "fancy getup."

Overall, this episode didn't excite me at all. I'm glad Abigail's on staff now, I've always liked Kelly Hu. I'm glad Artie's finally actually dealing with Leena's death at his hands. But as for the rest... it was just kind of there.

Grimm - "Goodnight, Sweet Grimm" - Review

Another awesome episode from the Grimm team. I was sucked into the episode pretty much from the get go.

I liked all the sweet couple-y stuff at the beginning. I'm really glad Nick and Juliette are back together. I though Rosalee was being ridiculously nervous about her food. The entire scene with Rosalee and Monroe was just as funny and cute as usual.

I liked, but at the same time was somewhat flummoxed by Juliette's inclusion into the "Scooby Gang." I like that Juliette isn't willing to just sit at home anymore, but how she acted in the spice shop was kind of... weird. She didn't and still doesn't strike me as the person to just come out and as "What kind of Wesen are you?" Also the way she was shuffled into the background of the group huddle was a little strange. I mean, I get that Nick, Monroe, and Rosalee aren't exactly used to anyone besides themselves being in those kinds of huddles, but... I dunno, it was weird.

I was really surprised by the Adalind storyline. It twisted in a way I totally wasn't expecting, but I liked it. Frau Pech is clearly incredibly devious, but Adalind and Stefania were just one step ahead of her. I like the the audience wasn't let in on what I perceived as a cunning plan until Stefania's son garroted Frau Pech. I also really liked the effect of Adalind and Frau Pech transforming into one another. It was creepily beautiful, in a way.

I think Eric is shaping up to be a very good villain. He's evil enough to sacrifice his own bodyguard in order to see a demonstration of the Cracher-Mortel's powers. That kind of creeped me out, but in a good way. It's also interesting that Eric didn't make an overt play for Renard while they had dinner together. I was kind of expecting there to be a fight or something, but I liked what was done with that scene.

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about the ultimate plan of shipping Nick back to Europe. That was partially surprising and partially not. I didn't see any way Nick was going to get out of being "zombified" by the Cracher-Mortel. The only way he was possibly going to get out of that was to shoot him, which he didn't do. In fact, I was really surprised that he went for hand-to-hand combat with the Cracher-Mortel. If a guy can spit stuff in your face, you usually don't go for hand-to-hand.

Finally... the To Be Continued thing at the very end of the episode was cheeky and kind of awesome. I like that not everything was tied up with a shiny bow. I like that the Grimm team is counting on people being interested enough in the conclusion to the story to come back in the fall. I also really like that they're able to get away with that kind of fourth-wall breaking. Personally, I can't wait for Grimm to come back.

Altador Cup Update

The next four teams to be "introduced" in Neopets' Altador Cup Pre-Season Coverage are:
  • Kreludor - Apparently, one of the team members, a Grundo, has a thing with lucky gum that he sticks behind his ear. Uhmmm... yeah. Whatever Neopets.
  • Terror Mountain - Osielle Lidel, a Buzz, had Blurred Vision during the off season, but is now fine. Luckily she could afford the incredibly expensive Extra-Thick Goggles... *fumes quietly in the background*
  • Virtupets Space Station - Weldar Xupenfarb, a Grundo, apparently played last year's Altador Cup with a torn shoulder muscle.
  • Brightvale - Reb Weemelatt, a Nimmo I think, is apparently a trash talker and dirty player. Good to know... maybe.

Again, my Altador Cup updates are horrible compared to the ones over at The Daily Neopets. They make up a lot of stuff, but it's kind of fun to read. They also have score counters and game guides. And no, I'm not affiliated with them, I just like them a lot. Also, their coverage of this year's cup hasn't started up yet so... check out other bits of their site, it's kind of awesome.

Housekeeping

Okay so... the rest of this week will most likely be... something. Probably another Altador Cup Update. But other than that, I have no concrete plans. Maybe I'll watch a movie on Netflix tonight and review it. Maybe.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive