Wednesday, June 19, 2013

What Matters If I Leave This World Alive

Overview

I was sick yesterday so I didn't put up a Warehouse 13 review... so I'm also giving you a Defiance review as well. That'll be pretty much it.

Warehouse 13 - "What Matters Most" - Review

I quite enjoyed this episode. I thought the artifacts were interesting. I liked most of the character bits. This episode was nicely solid.

Although I wasn't particularly interested, I thought getting more backstory on Abigail was nice. I kind of want to know if the patient she "couldn't help" is going to be showing up at some point. I thought the fact that she got her character moment with Jinks was good. Seeing Jinks paired with people other than Claudia this season has been really nice. It was also kind of funny that he got Goo-residue in the face because he was talking too much and not wearing proper safety gear. He kind of deserved that.

I really loved the Claudia/Artie storyline. It was nice to see Claudia having those moments to bond with the kid and be really mature was great. I liked that Artie was there to have "Liquid Pride" moments while Claud was being awesome. The artifact in that section was kind of interesting as well. I do question what would have made someone put those goggles on while doing math in the first place... ya know, if it hadn't been a set up. Knowing that it was a set up makes me slightly sad for Claudia, being taken in like she is. I have a feeling she's going to be heartbroken and angry about it when she finds out.

The Pete/Myka storyline was great until the end part... and all the "Pete's worried about low testosterone" bits. I didn't buy Pete going overboard about the low-T thing. I understand where the writers were trying to come from, but I don't think it worked very well. In fact, it upped Pete's ridiculousness factor... which he has plenty of already. I also didn't find Pete's confession thing particularly touching or engaging at all. At this point in the show's run, we all know that Pete had a drinking problem and was a horrible person in his past because of it. His guilt over almost killing his friend, while a realistic guilt to have, didn't fit with the rest of what was going on in the episode. That said, I liked that there was an artifact created from the Soddom and Gomora thing.

Last notes: I kind of want to punch the spy-kid. I was floored by the revelation that Myka has Cancer. That's horrible!


Defiance - "If I Ever Leave This World Alive" - Review

To sum this episode up: Predictable to the n-th degree.

There's a plague that would have been a much more effective plot device if it had lasted more than a single episode. The plague, predictably, wipes out almost all of the major human characters... except not because they're all still alive. That, in itself, was rather predictable. Kind of annoying they killed off Connor; I liked him a lot.

Also predictable: Quarantining the Irathients because they carry/cause the plague but don't get sick from it. That entire plot was predictable. Of course they're going to do something that inadvertantly pisses off one of their captors. Of course that captor is going to be a ridiculous hot-heat and try to physically stop them. Of course someone pivotal to the not-captured-Irathients' plan is going to be killed by the hot-head. Of course there's not going to be any actual repercussions from that.

I'm glad Nolan and Connor were able to get the cure. I don't really understand Datak's reasons for killing Connor. Yeah, Connor witnessed him beating the crap out of the Irathient chick, but Datak was angry... I'm pretty sure Connor wouldn't have said anything. Datak just up and shooting him was really unexpected and weird.

It figures that Quentin would give Nicki the artifact. It figures that Nicki's trying to get Yewll to work with her again. It figures that Datak is going to run for Mayoral office against Amanda. Odds are, he'll win so things can be more interesting around Defiance.

Yup... Defiance was incredibly predictable this week. I've seen this story loads of times in other TV shows and movies and books. Same old, same old.

Let Me Know What You Thought In Comments!


Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment