Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Superman Rant

Overview

This blog post will contain a rant and an Altador Cup Update.

The Superman Rant

Okay so, I've been seeing a lot of really stupid Man of Steel tie-in commercials lately. I'm not gonna lie, this is one superhero movie I'm not even remotely interested in seeing. I only saw the last Superman movie because I was bored and it was on Netflix. The stupid tie-in commercials cement my disinterest in seeing this one.

Part of my personal disinterest in Man of Steel is the attempt to make Superman dark. Supes has never been a dark hero. The only reason they're even attempting a dark Superman is because the Batman Trilogy was such a giant hit. Thing is, the reason Batman was a dark hero with a dark story is because he's always been that way. They got the darkness spot on with this particular trilogy. Superman, however, just doesn't have that kind of darkness in him.

Granted, these assumptions have been made by someone who'd never been big into Superman and avoids anything Superman related like Supes avoids green Kryptonite. My personal experience with Superman starts with really old, really sexist cartoons then to The Justice League (animated) to Supes appearances in Batman comics and, of course, the last Superman movie. Also, a random smattering of Smallville and Lois and Clark. It's incredibly fair to say that I strongly dislike Superman.

I find Superman to be a boring character. the Clark Kent "disguise" is akin to the Sailor Moon style of disguise, which is essentially nonexistent. Superman is also incredibly over-powered, in my opinion. Not only does he have ridiculously-powerful-superstrength and flight, but he can burn holes in stuff, freeze anything with his breath, and turn time backward for no discernable reason... in addition to X-Ray vision and super-hearing. Most of which end up in groups of one or two of those powers in other heroes. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather watch Carol Danvers or Wonder Woman run around on screen and they only have superstrength and flight, for the most part.

In my horribly biased opinion, Lois Lane is the only good thing about Superman, even if she is sidelined and horribly portrayed most of the time.

But yeah, that's pretty much what I think of Superman and part of why the tie-in commercials annoy me to no end. Man, that commercial thing got side-lined quickly, didn't it?

Altador Cup Update

Shenkku lost to Meridell yesterday in everything but Slushie Slinger... I hate that game, by the way. Today, we play Terror Mountain and we'll probably lose, too... perhaps I ought to switch teams next year...

Also, the results of the first round of the Staff Tournament will be revealed tomorrow, so you've got the rest of tonight to pick a team.

Love ya, Jessie. love0052 Free Emoticons   Love

No comments:

Post a Comment